Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! How to obtain detailed adoption records from 1938...  (Read 1358 times)

Offline scoles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PLEASE HELP! How to obtain detailed adoption records from 1938...
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Is anyone able to advise me on how to get copies of adoption papers that took place in 1938? I have the actual adoption certificate which is registered under: The General Register Office, Titchfield, Fareham, Hants but I was looking for more detailed info on a biological mother.

I have already contacted the London Metropolitan Archives for birth records which I have received but did not find any real detailed information that I was looking for, this may sound foolish but they show the type of documents I'm looking for on shows such as "Long lost family" which gives the adopted child details on the mother and her circumstances etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful as I have already tried several options but to no avail.

Thanks  :)

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP! How to obtain detailed adoption records from 1938...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
I think - :-\ only the actual adoptee can obtain these records-they make it look so easy on Long Lost Family !

Kim

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
There is no guarantee that the records will have been kept either. New legislation was introduced in 1975 with respect to keeping adoption records.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline scoles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
I agree they do make it easy on these programmes, when in real life it's exasperating!  ???

I'm actually doing it on behalf of my Grandmother who is 76 and doesn't feel comfortable with technology etc although as with my previous searches so far I have obtained cover letters stating her wish for me to act as third party as well as signatures & proof of ID so I'm hoping that this will be sufficient enough to try & help her as she is desperate...

I feel it's my duty to try anything I can but I'm aware that this may be a difficult task but I cannot walk away from my obligations etc. Thanks all for the input so far :)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Is it your grandma who was adopted,if so she can apply for her own records,you just fill all the forms in for her and get her to sign.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:06 BST (UK) »
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline scoles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, yes it is my Grandmother who was adopted, I'm just not certain which forms I need to get & from where to start the application as the timescale is far back...

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
There is a downloadable guide on this page:
https://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/search/howtosearch/

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk