Author Topic: Old Swinford marriage look up c1736  (Read 1886 times)

Offline kate*k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Old Swinford marriage look up c1736
« on: Wednesday 23 July 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there who would mind looking to see if there is a marriage of Philip Talbot to Catherine (or Katherine) in about 1736? 

I've hit a brick wall with this couple and can't currently get to the archives holding the registers.  I know that Phillip and Catherine baptised three children in Old Swinford parish church in 1738, 1741 and 1747.  Phillip and Catherine could have married anywhere of course but a check of Old Swinford will be a start.

I'd be interested to know whether there are any baptisms for Phillip Talbot say around 1700 to 1715 in the same parish.

Many thinks in advance.

K

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Swinford marriage look up c1736
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 21:21 BST (UK) »
I have the St Mary Oldswinford PRs on CD but cant find any record of Philip's Baptism or Marriage.

The closest I have is a baptism May 2nd 1721, Catherine d of Thomas Tallbott & Grace his wife born April 13th.

There is also mention in 1767 of Mary Rotshey being apprenticed to Philip Talbot of The Lye, Oldswinford as 'Housewife to Forgeman' until 21 or Married.  The line above has her name as Mary Rochley apprenticed in housewifery to William Bowler, same address.

There are several miscellaneous records I haven't checked yet so if there's anything there I will let you know.  Do you have Philip & Catherine's death / burial info or do you want me to check for that too?  The CD is a bit clunky to use so you'll need to bear with me

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline kate*k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jomot for you help.  At least I can discount that parish.  The couple baptised children in three different churches at West Bromwich, Rowley Regis and Womburne so I'll have a look there next.

There is a death on the NBI for a Phillip, aged 88,  in 1796 in Old Swinford which fits nicely with my man.  I have nothing for Catherine though so if you do come across something for her that would be good to know. 

Thanks for the info about the apprenticeship too, I'll look further into that.

Thanks again Jomot and for your quick reply.

K

Offline lurchergirly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I was interested to read your post -

View Profile
 Personal Message (Offline)

Old Swinford marriage look up c1736

« on: Wednesday 23 July 14 18:54 BST (UK) »

Is there anyone out there who would mind looking to see if there is a marriage of Philip Talbot to Catherine (or Katherine) in about 1736? 

I've hit a brick wall with this couple and can't currently get to the archives holding the registers.  I know that Phillip and Catherine baptised three children in Old Swinford parish church in 1738, 1741 and 1747.  Phillip and Catherine could have married anywhere of course but a check of Old Swinford will be a start.
Philip is my 5 times GGF - I wondered if you had managed to find out any more about him or Catherine?
This had been my brick wall for ages!
Best wishes, Loma.