Author Topic: FARQUHARSON JANE BISSET  (Read 18831 times)

Offline wee jean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FARQUHARSON JANE BISSET
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 05:17 BST (UK) »
 :) Thank you very much you girls are amazing
William Bisset C112585
b. 19 Oct 1805, Fetteresso, Kincardineshire, Scotland
d. 17 Apr 1884, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
& Agnes Milne
b. 1811, Skene, Aberdeen, Scotland
William Bisset C112585
b. 19 Oct 1805, Fetteresso, Kincardineshire, Scotland
d. 17 Apr 1884, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
& Jane Farquharson
b. 1829, Strachan, Aberdeen, Scotland
m. 31 Aug 1854 On Williams death certificate says widower of Jane Farquharson his son is the wittness so this does mean she had passed away by 1884 this also sinks in with John Emslie marriage 1886 it was hard to read but it did look like his mum had passed away , Bisset is the main one the reason i am trying to get to Jane is i have a cousin who also has Farquharson so trying to see if Jane ties in  Kind regards Jean  Ps do you have a place where you can attach certificates
MCHALE THORNTON MCSHANE FLYNN MCCONNELL MULHEARN RAFFERTY MCGUIGAN O DONNELL VANCE AND THE REST OF SCOTLAND LOL

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
Jane Farquharson b. 1829, Strachan, Aberdeen, Scotland

Where does this come from? Strachan is not in Aberdeenshire. It is in Kincardineshire, and so far no-one has quoted any even vaguely reliable source to suggest that Jane was born in Strachan.

Jane married William Emslie on 5 August 1848 and the marriage is recorded in both Chapel of Garioch and Logie Coldstone (IGI community indexed)
She was in the 1851 census (transcription) as aged 27 and born in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire
She married William Bisset on 31 August 1854 and the marriage is recorded in Maryculter, Kincardineshire (IGI, community contributed)
She had a daughter born 31 August 1855 in Maryculter, Kincardineshire (IGI community indexed)
She was in the 1861 census (transcription) as aged 32 and born in Strathan, Aberdeenshire
There is an unconfirmed report that she died on 25 October 1861 but there is no matching death certificate
A Jane Bisset was buried on 10 October 1864 at John Knox Cemetery Aberdeen but there is no matching death certificate
She was apparently not in the 1871 census (transcription)
William Bisset is described as a widower in the 1881 census (transcription)

Have you seen the originals of all these documents?

The 1855 birth certificate, in particular, will tell you Jane's age, where she was born, how long she had been in Maryculter and how many children she had had altogether.

Now, assuming that the age in the 1851 census is accurate, and she was actually aged 27, this means that she was born between 31 March 1823 and 30 March 1824. (For reasons I have explained elsewhere in these forums, birth years 'calculated' by subtracting the age on a census from the census year are more often wrong than right)

There is in the 1841 census (transcription) a household at Belnaboddach in Strathdon consisting of  George Farquharson, 35; his wife Hellen, 25; two small children and ten servants including Jean Farquharson, 15. Now, adults' ages in the 1841 census were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest five years, so this Jean could have been any age from 15 to 19, which means she would have been born between 7 June 1821 and 6 June 1826.

She is almost certainly not the daughter of Hellen Farquharson, who is at most 14 years older than Jean. She could be George's daughter, but if so why would she be listed among the servants? Do you think she might be 'your' Jane?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wee jean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 06:40 BST (UK) »
 :) Thank you I have never know a person so hard to find i now have pages of deaths looking for her
I got the daughter Jane born 1855 it looks like her mum was 29 I also got Alfreds birth he was born 1861 in St Nicholas Aberdeen i was wondering if maybe she died in child birth or just after 
Kind regards Jean
MCHALE THORNTON MCSHANE FLYNN MCCONNELL MULHEARN RAFFERTY MCGUIGAN O DONNELL VANCE AND THE REST OF SCOTLAND LOL

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
I got the daughter Jane born 1855 it looks like her mum was 29

Assuming her age is accurate, that would mean she was born between 1 September 1825 and 31 August 1826. This does not overlap with the possible range of birth dates from the 1851 census, so you can be absolutely certain that at least one of the ages recorded is wrong.

Where does her daughter's birth certificate say she was born?

I also got Alfreds birth he was born 1861 in St Nicholas Aberdeen i was wondering if maybe she died in child birth or just after 

I notice that Alfred was born on 25 October 1861. This is the exact date of death for Jane that Rosie found in a tree she came across. Could someone have mixed up Alfred's date of birth with his mother's date of death and put the wrong information into this tree Rosie found?

If Jane died between Alfred's birth and the registration of the birth, the birth certificate would say she was deceased. What does it say? And on what date was the birth registered?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
I'm not saying this is her but worth a credit..
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
I'm not saying this is her but worth a credit.

You don't even need a credit. Narrowing down the search on the date and age, this lady died in 1877 aged 91.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
91 because I left the birth field empty? I thought if you left that blank it picked up everyone who died during the period selected regardless of age? Or has someone already checked this entry and discovered a 91 year old I missed that. Oh, no I get it you put in a date of birth and worked it out ;D. I'll go to the back of the class.
Jen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
91 because I left the birth field empty? I thought if you left that blank it picked up everyone who died during the period selected regardless of age?
Yes it does.

Or has someone already checked this entry and discovered a 91 year old
No, you didn't miss anything.

Oh, no I get it you put in a date of birth and worked it out

No. No point trying to use a DoB when (a) we don't know exactly when she was born and (b) we know that at least one of the ages quoted for her is wrong.

I just replicated your search, added an age range (0-100) and then narrowed down the age range progressively until I pinpointed it. The same with the date.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
I didn't have the patience to do the exact date of birth just the year and I totally forgot about using the birth fields to narrow down her age. No patience and bad memory maybe I should get a new hobby!