Author Topic: Living relative  (Read 472 times)

Offline Wheelsliz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Living relative
« on: Saturday 26 July 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered I have a half sister. I know the year she was born, her christian name and maiden name. How do I find out her married name?

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Living relative
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 July 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
Searching for living relatives and Rootschat:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=142443.0

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Wheelsliz

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

New members are encouraged to take a moment to read the guidelines for posting here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

As Merlin mentioned, we have a 'no living people' policy here but to answer your question....

You haven't updated your profile so we don't know where in the world you are.

If you are based in England & Wales, you can search the marriage registers online upto 2005 at
www.ancestry.co.uk and www.findmypast.co.uk

You'll need a subscription to see the details but you can search for free.

If you don't have a subscription, check out your local library to see if they offer free inhouse access to either of them.

I did notice elsewhere that Ancestry is having a free weekend this weekend. I don't know the exact terms & conditions but you'll most probably have to register with them.

If you are then going to try to find her then there are hints & tips here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=261434.0

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 July 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
You can try looking for a marriage record on www.freebmd.org.uk. However, if you expect it to be a recent marriage then it may not be covered there. You could then try one of the paysites, such as www.findmypast.co.uk or www.thegenealogist.co.uk. Once you have found the appropriate entry in one of the registration indexes then if you want to check out more detail you can order a copy of the marriage certificate from www.gro.gov.uk
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn