Author Topic: 1851 SHROPSHIRE CENSUS LOOK UP PLEASE - FEWTRELL  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1851 SHROPSHIRE CENSUS LOOK UP PLEASE - FEWTRELL
« on: Monday 27 June 05 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hello! :)

I would be grateful for any 1851 information regarding the family of Samuel Fewtrell who is shown as 44 in the 1881 Census born in Munslow, Shropshire, and living at the time at Cound Moor Cottages, Cound, Shropshire.I have his marriage to a Sarah Griffiths down as 1861 Church Stretton, so I'm hoping that he will be with his parents in the 1851 Census as a 14ish year old.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help. Kind Regards - Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Names: Brown; Robson; Davis; Male; Dowman; Harber; Tyler; Peirce; Schramm; Jarrett; McCarthy; Cox; King; Olley; Pease; Aked; Wharton; Stanley; Rudland; Grigsby; Such<br />Areas: Essex;East London; Birkenhead; Staffordshire; Shropshire; West Yorkshire; Cambridgeshire; Norfolk; Newcastle; Kent

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 SHROPSHIRE CENSUS LOOK UP PLEASE - FEWTRELL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I have had a look through Munslow which was his birthplace and found several Samuel Fewtrells. None are the right age though:

Samuel, 30, lodger, Waggoner, b Holdgate

Samuel, 44, Blacksmith, b Munslow.
Sarah, W, 58, b Tugford

Samuel, 53, Ag lag, b Rushbury
Elizabeth, 55, b Aston ?
William, 10 b Munslow
Edward, 8, B Munslow

Whilst this is not what you were after, it may be worth keeping for future reference

Allie
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire research interests: Betton, Boliver, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Griffiths, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Rogers, Weston, Wilson

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Allie

Many thanks for looking for me and for the information included, which certainly does look worth keeping for possible future reference once my Samuel is found. In fact the last one looks interesting, as 'my' Samuel also has 2 children named Edward and William, and I have just found that his first 3 children were born in Rushbury which is only 2.6 miles away from Munslow.

This makes me wonder if Samuel Fewtrell aged 53 could be his father, and 'my' Samuel at the age of 14 was working somewhere close by. Again, many thanks Allie.

Kind Regards - Dave
Names: Brown; Robson; Davis; Male; Dowman; Harber; Tyler; Peirce; Schramm; Jarrett; McCarthy; Cox; King; Olley; Pease; Aked; Wharton; Stanley; Rudland; Grigsby; Such<br />Areas: Essex;East London; Birkenhead; Staffordshire; Shropshire; West Yorkshire; Cambridgeshire; Norfolk; Newcastle; Kent

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

In 1861 Samuel and Sarah are living in Gretton.

So looked for Samuel there which falls under Rushbury and found him in Rushbury. (i think i ) found him with his uncle and aunt.

addr:Rushbury Church-Stretton
H0107/1984 folio 72,  page 2

Fewtrell
William head married ?6 farmer of 20 acres no labourers born Cardington Shrops
Mary wife married 72 born much wenlock
Margaret mother annuitant 84 born Brosley Shrops
Samuel nephew 14 born Eaton

plus 1 lodger and 1 servant.

Eaton is very close to Munslow. William's age has a line through it - it is ?6 the first number looks like a 5 but can't be sure. Margaret Fewtrell relation looks like gmother - but not sure that is possible

hope this helps a bit.

Tara  ;)
Hertfordshire(Anstey, the Hadham, Reed, Standon): Gault, Hoy, Miles, Smith
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
Essex(Dunmow,West Ham): Allen, Blackmore, Carr, Sutton
Warwickshire(Birmingham,Edgbaston): Angell
Yorkshire(Doncaster,Hull): Brooks, Doe
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind
Norfolk (Norwich,Nth Walsham,Lynn,Gt Yarmouth): Carr, Salkind

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 11:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this information Tara

It all helps to fit the pieces of the jigsaw together - I'll download the page myself to have a look -  feel sure that there will be a link of all these families somewhere along the line. I only started on this family on Sunday as a result of my daughter's marriage to one of the Fewtrell line last June.
I've already got 30+ genuine 'hits' with Census and registration details, and with your help will be able to expand on this number.

Kind Regards - Dave

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara and Allie

I think the Jigsaw is nearly complete, depending on the possibility that what you thought Tara might be a ?6 (had a line through it) could in fact be an 8. I have found a William Tipton Fewtrel christened 18 Dec 1792, Cardington - if it was an 8, then he would have been 58 in 1851 which would be correct with your suggestion of a 5 before the '?6'. The christening record also has Margaret as his mother which fits perfectly, and also gives me his father William.
I then looked for a William and Margaret marriage shortly before 1792 and found William Fewtrel marrying Margaret Tipton in 1790. ;D :D :-*

Thank you so much both of you - a great help. Kind Regards - Dave