Author Topic: Photo copy of uk certs  (Read 610 times)

Offline carthyn47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo copy of uk certs
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
I was wondering does england have a research room for births marriages and deaths were in ireland u can get photo copys of certs for 4 euro

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo copy of uk certs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
No. Certficates cost £9.25
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
Could be lucky and find parish records online. Who and where are you looking?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carthyn47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
I was trying to find a women who married in the early 1920s in the uk but I don't know who she married but there is about 7 of them its going to cost 70 pounds to get 7 certs.  she was a mary Josephine O'Brien from Ireland born about the mid 1890s

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names and birth day of any of her children?   their birth certificate would give mothers name and former names  also father's name. Again that would cost £9.25 from http://www.gro.gov.uk  but would lead you to correct marriage cert.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
I was in a similar situation about 15 years ago and had to buy six certificates (at £6 each then). I have also been to Dublin at the old Joyce House and not only benefitted from the £1.50 for a plain paper copy (which is all you need) but also from the 15 minute turn around they had then. UK Government take note - but they never will.

You need to be sure that you will recognise the correct Mary if you do order all seven. Is it through the father? You may be able to specify the bride's father's name and get your money back if this does not match. Personally I would apply in writing with all applications in the one envelope, so the GRO in Southport know you are only after one certificate.

If the not to the GRO, but to the local register who have the original certificate. Of course you have to apply by post to seven different Registers, and stamps are not cheap anymore.

If you have an address for her after the marriage you could try the electoral roll or a POst Office directory; or if you have an address in 1938/39 look at paying £45 to the NHS for the 'census' done as part of the National ID cards. You will get the names of up to ten people in the house.

If you know when she died you may be able to find her death on FreeBMD using the age you have plus the seven alternative surnames. At the very least you may come up with two favourites and apply for these first.

Ken