Author Topic: Staffordshire deaths  (Read 489 times)

Offline BETTS7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Staffordshire deaths
« on: Monday 28 July 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking at my Staffordshire ancestors and have consulted other family trees on the Ancestry site.  It seems that everyone is happy to accept a woman dying and being buried using her maiden name.  Would that have been the case back in the 1600's?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire deaths
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes it would .The practice of women using their maiden name after marriage continued in England up to the early 1700's .In Scotland the practice continued until the mid 1850s and except for the census a woman would have kept her maiden name and it is used on children's baptisms etc.In Scotland deaths can still be looked up using the woman's maiden name.
So it's quite acceptable for these trees to have deaths for women under their maiden  names.It actually makes them easier to find ,although i can see that it adds to the confusion about whether they are married or not.
Hope that helps
Ciderdrinker
ps I don't suppose the woman concerned is a Ann Shropshire from West Bromwich?

Offline BETTS7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I didn't know that.  No it isn't your person.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
I would still be looking for a death in her married name. Ancestry trees are notoriously unreliable and people copy on information without checking it.

Who are you talking about.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes it would .The practice of women using their maiden name after marriage continued in England up to the early 1700's .In Scotland the practice continued until the mid 1850s and except for the census a woman would have kept her maiden name and it is used on children's baptisms.
http://www.gwoodward.co.uk/guides/marriages.htm
Change of surname on marriage

Since marriage records began in 1538 it has been the custom in England for women to change their surname on marriage from their birth name to that of their husband. This was probably the case before the records began, although in the middle ages some men who married into high status families changed their name to that of their wife in order to perpetuate the 'family line'

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley