Author Topic: advice please Elizabeth Jane Mabon 1879-82  (Read 15358 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: advice please Elizabeth Jane Mabon 1879-82
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and advice. Im hoping to get to Woodhorn archives at some point. I have a bit of a family crisis at the minute as my mam had a fall and has fractured her shoulder so may not be for at least a month. She was staying with me for a few days. I`ve been updating her with the search for her grandparents and she`s amazed and fascinated by what you have all been able to find out. She knew her grandfather Thomas Brown but nobody ever spoke about Elizabeth Jane until later when they wanted to research the family history.

I`m wondering if in the mean time it would be worth ordering the birth certificate for Elizabeth Jane Cain born 1879 in Berwick that Jen mentioned earlier. It could be a possiblity givin that Jane Cain tho married was still going by her maiden name of Mabon on the 1881 census.

Susan

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 04 September 14 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi I`ve just received the birth certificate for Elizabeth Jane which I`m trying to attach but its Great news  ;D JenB you`re a star. She was registered as Elizabeth Jane Cain 1879 in Berwick from Oxford Ancroft, Mothers name Jane Cain formely Mabon and fathers name James Cain. I cant quite make out the writing for her fathers occupation but it could be musician. I`ll try again later to attach it to see if someone could work out what it says

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 04 September 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
hope this works

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 05 September 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Great you've now got Elizabeth's birth. I think it does say 'musician' for James' occupation. Will try to find him on the census.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 05 September 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Have a look at the 1891 census. There is a James Cain aged 50 living in Clive Street, Tynemouth at the Globe Inn. He is recorded as a musician. Although said to be married, no wife is with him. Birthplace is Ireland. Interestingly he is recorded as blind from birth.

Have not found him in other censuses yet.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 05 September 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
good find. How strange he is the only 'servant' amongst a lot of boarders, too. Struggling to find the same man on other censuses.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 05 September 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
good find. How strange he is the only 'servant' amongst a lot of boarders, too. Struggling to find the same man on other censuses.
Wow that`s a good find. I`ve just been looking at the 1891 census and I see there`s a John Kane 10 years older born in Ireland thats also blind from birth and a travelling musician

Susan

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 05 September 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
That John Kane is 'blind from accident'.....

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
Yes sorry ur right. Strange tho they have similar names, both from Ireland, both blind and both musicians. James will be hard to pin down if he travels around.

Susan