Author Topic: 16th Century Writing Help Please  (Read 933 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16th Century Writing Help Please
« on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:02 BST (UK) »
I'm currently working on the Sandford family in the Writtle, Roxwell & Berners Roding area of Essex and am having trouble translating some of the earliest records.

Here are two adjacent examples (from 1600 and 1601) in the Berners Roding register:

The first appears to be "Edward the son of Radolph Sampford".
Questions:
1) Sampford appears to be an early form of Sandford, one giving way to the other in later records. Is this a reasonable assumption?
2) Could Radolph be an early/latin form of Ralph? Ralph is a recurring name in the Sandford family for the next three generations and both names appear to relate to wolf.

The second entry reads "John Sampford son of ?????? Sampford. Any idea what the Christian name of the father is?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 16th Century Writing Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
Radulph (+ variant spellings) and Ralph are cognates, i.e. different forms of the same name.  (Also Raul, Raoul etc).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
The second name is Raffe, which is also cognate with Ralph (say Rafe Fiennes) cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for both of those.

I was wondering if they were the same person given that the baptsims were 14 months apart, but then came across the same pair of names in the baptism register, again close together, but this time the second was the father of a base-born son (Raffe?) and they were just 13 days apart, so I thought that probably Raffe and Radolph were different men. Then I found the burial record of Frances, born the daughter of Radolph and buried as the daughter of Raffe ten days later. If I'm reading the names correctly.

This could take some sorting out!

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
If you haven't found another birth of a Frances, then it certainly looks as though the two spellings represent the same father. But there could still be another Ralph Sandford. I think you just have to collect all your references and check the dates, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 July 14 06:06 BST (UK) »
If you haven't found another birth of a Frances, then it certainly looks as though the two spellings represent the same father. But there could still be another Ralph Sandford. I think you just have to collect all your references and check the dates, cb

It is the only one and a very short time after the birth of the other Frances, although there are a chunk of years missing from the from the start damaged register. If it the same father then I shouldn't think his wife was that happy when the second one was baptised though.

Can anyone read the name of the mother of the illegitimate child please? It looks like Katheryn Lour?e.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 July 14 07:18 BST (UK) »
I'm going to stick my neck out and say the mother's surname is Larke.

Her first name is Katheren.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 July 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Katheren (I don't know why I stuck the y in there!) Larke looks more likely. Thanks.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 July 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
OK, after a lot of searching I have found the Marriage of Ralph Samford and (what looks like) Winifried Neale in Margaret Roding in June 1623 (the year taken from the baptism above in the register).

Does anyone (dis)agree with my reading of her name? Also, can anyone read the day for me please? Is it roman numerals, something like XXI (with another character between the X and I)?

P.S. Apologies for posting what seems to be becoming more of a general help thread, although in mitigation I am still having problems reading the old text.