Author Topic: Help Identifying Time Period Please?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help Identifying Time Period Please?
« on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am wondering if any of you clever people may have thoughts on the time frame of this photo please. I have inherited some very old photo's that my grandmother had tucked away. They are from my grandfathers side of the family and Nan had no idea who the subjects were, only that they were family and connected in some way to my grandfathers grandparents.

My grandfathers grandparents were Richard Mansell ADAMS (b c.1848 in Ireland), who was married in 1877 in Sth Africa, to Anna Catherine Johanna VOLSTEEDT (b. 1854 in Sth Africa). They arrived in Australia in 1887.

The photographic studio info on the back of this card says:
W. MALBY
155 City Road
London

Now that doesn't fit with Ireland or Sth Africa, but the styling and clothing is very distinct and I'm hoping it might be trying to tell a story. She is certainly the most elaborately dressed person in any of the photo's I have.

Any thoughts on time period, studio, or status, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Lois

PS: I hope I'm uploading this right!! :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Time Period Please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
There's some info on W Malby here:
http://photohistory-sussex.co.uk/ChichMalby.htm
Apparently 155 City Road was used between 1868 - 1872.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
If you combine Josey's date frame with bustle popularity from circa 1867-76 you can hone in pretty well.  never mind... it is very late.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much josey and nick. Now to try and figure out who may have been in London at the appropriate time.. possibly easier said than done! 

I've seen some amazing photo's in this section being brought to life in colour. Is it appropriate for me to ask in this thread that if anyone would like to have a go at adding some colour I would be absolutely thrilled? As I would dearly love that. Or should I start another thread? (still learning the right etiquette!) Thanks once again :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lmac....You could modify the title to include a colour request but it would be better to rescan at a resolution of 300dpi if possible as the results will be far better than the current scan of 96 dpi.
If you do repost...you will need to change the file name.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Fabulous photo Lois. You are very lucky to have it.

The lady in question has quite a masculine face doesn't she?  :) I'm sure the restoration experts would love to have a crack at adding some colour to her. The dress and hairdo are amazing.

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 July 14 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Carol, I've scanned the photo again and hope I've got it to a decent enough size now. Have posted a new topic with a request for colour if anyone wants to give it a try :)

Ruskie, yeah it is a great photo, I just wish I knew for certain who she was! She certainly does have quite the masculine face doesn't she. Maybe she overcompensated for it by wearing the most elaborate girliest dress she could get her hands on? ;)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 July 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
The date's about right early-mid 70's. However this is not your average Sunday best outfit it's too heavily stylised.
I think a stock photo of a music hall act & may even be a female impersonator.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 July 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
I Thought it was a drag queen too Jim on first sight but didn't like to say  :-X
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU