Author Topic: Sgt William Gamble Orr 1874-1917  (Read 846 times)

Offline Karen Orr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sgt William Gamble Orr 1874-1917
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find more information on Sgt William Gamble Orr.  I know he was killed in Flanders France.  He was married to Robina Orr 1874-1954.  His father was Alexander 1846-1911, mother Sarah Moore 1856-1938.  His sisters were; Mary Jane 1878-1957; Harriet 1882-1924, Sarah 1885-1945 and Margaret Ellen 1889-1936.  He had 1 brother Henry A 1887-1936.

William was the father of my father-in-law, Samuel Orr 1907-1974 who married Elsie Coey 1913-1969.
I am trying to find any other information regarding William Gamble Orr, the only death records I can find, list him as 'killed in action' and I can't find any birth certs etc.  It's quite hard to trace from here in New Zealand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt William Gamble Orr 1874-1917
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Good morning Karen and welcome to Rootschat
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

I have just looked for William Orr deaths in WW1 and there are a lot of William Orr deaths
maybe you can have a look - see if any Seargent William Orr look likely then click on their name and one may give Robina Orr as next of kin
I will start at page 10
you start at page 1
good luck
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 07:19 BST (UK) »
found him - on page 1 believe it or not
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1622911/ORR,%20WILLIAM

I didn`t expect him to be from Belfast - I thought he would probably be Scottish
33 Belvoir Street,Belfast was where he and Robina Lived - he died 4th aug 1917 - aged 40

ADDED   as William was 40 when he died - it would mean he would have been born 1876/1877
I wonder if he was in the navy first ...1901 census - this man b 1877
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X91K-GG8

do you know which Country he was born in ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Karen Orr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your prompt replies and links.  I believe they originated from Scotland at some stage but I haven't gone that far back yet.  Hopefully there will be a family member who might have some information to help me fill the gaps.  Do you know where I could go to actually find out how he was killed.  From the searches I have made, there didn't seem to be any 'action' on the day he was killed so it's a mystery.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 July 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
there didn`t necessarily have to be "action" on the day - the Germans and the Allies both had "Snipers " who on a day to day basis were shooting individuals - and also he may have been badly injured days /weeks earlier , and died of his wounds in one of the hospital camps ...I would think you will be very lucky to find out exactly how he died ...but I wish you luck in your quest ... ;)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 July 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Most surviving records for WW1 are online now, so where you live no longer matters.

You can download the war diary for the 10th Battalion RIRifles - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7354026

It is very rare that 'other ranks' are mentioned by name, but at least you will discover what was happening on the day he was killed. They are big files.

Killed in Action suggests he died near the front line. But you should always check how far away the cemetary is from where the front line was on the day he died. If it was a distance away it suggests he died of wounds after been sent back to a large base hospital.

If he went to France before during 1915 the date will be on his medal card. These are available on Ancestry.

More reading - http://www.1914-1918.net/ririfles.htm - and click on his division (top right).

This link mentions a book about the Belfast Volunteers - http://www.plugstreet-archaeology.com/107rir8.php

Ken

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 July 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on ancestry , owned by karenorr , which I can only assume is you ? You already have a great deal of information including his Regiment , date of death , birthplace , medal card etc. I have found his death record in the British Armed Forces Deaths on FindMyPast so you could order the certificate from GRO , but it is unlikely to say anything other than killed in action :

ORR , William , Sergeant 432  , Royal Irish Rifles , 1917  vol 1.75 254

( My apologies if this is another Karen Orr )
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen Orr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 July 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
Again, thank you all for your help, comments and further links to try.  Yes, karenorr9 is me  :D.  I will go and have a look now and see what other info I can find.