Author Topic: William Charles Neilson (1856) - where did he go?  (Read 10465 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles Neilson (1856) - where did he go?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 April 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Curiosity got the better of me, and I took a look at that 1871 census. It is, as suggested, a complete red herring.

Apart from the occupation of 15-year-old William, the writing is clear enough for me to read the relevant (or, as it turns out, irrelevant) entries as
Thomas Robson   Lodger Unm 22 Accountant's Clerk    Selkirkshire, Selkirk
William Robson  Lodger 15  Apptce Gar....maker         Selkirkshire, Selkirk

This matches two of the sons of William Robson and Euphemia Hogg, who were listed in the 1861 census at Mill Street, Selkirk, with (among others) Thomas, aged 12 and William, aged 5.

What's more, the original spells James and Catherine Deas in the orthodox manner, and Daniel's surname is Caroline not Cassalina. Robert Deas has a middle initial K; James Deas jr's middle initial is H, not St, and John Deas' middle initial is Mck not Mcke. Finally, the schedule numbers reveal that Daniel Caroline and the Robson brothers, although described as lodgers, were regarded by the enumerator at least as households separate from that of the Deas family.

A truly classic example of a thoroughly misleading transcription. I suppose it was from Ancestry? Clearly not from FindMyPast which was quoted above, or from SP, and FamilySearch also has Thomas and William Rubson. FreeCEN haven't started on the 1871 for Edinburgh yet.

Always check the original.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian for clearing up that questionable Census that Annie had picked up on. (Sorry Annie :'( )

Things have moved at a rapid pace this morning and I'm sure I've found cousin William married to Anne Eliza Toner on 18 Jul 1879 in Queensland, Australia through www.bdm.qld.gov.au I can't be more precise than that without actually buying the records. There is no record of any children for them in Queensland, which makes me think William and Anne must have gone to New Zealand shortly after they were married.  I'll need to search that out.

I also discovered that William died bet. Apr - Jun 1884 and Ann bet. Apr - Jun 1939, both in New Zealand.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
CORRECTION

The William who died in 1884 was aged only 21 months - may have been a son, however.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
Interested to see what comes up from your new post  :)
Monica

Hi Monica

Can you put a link for this to the New Zealand Forum for me or should I enter a fresh post there?

Chiad Fhear

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 April 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home/ but didn't find any likely-looking births.

I can account for the William Neilson who died in NZ in 1960, aged 79, by the way. He is related to me, and his roots are in Lanarkshire.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 April 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,

Yes it was Ancestry !!!  ;D & I was close to downloading the original too out of curiosity  :o

Some of those transcriptions are beyond me but I had hoped this was a good lead but.............. >:(

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
I can account for the William Neilson who died in NZ in 1960, aged 79, by the way. He is related to me, and his roots are in Lanarkshire.
Hi Forfarian

One member of my Neilson line moved from Blairgowrie, where he was born, to Kilmaurs in Ayrshire. I don't believe any of them had connections to Lanarkshire though

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
Yes it was Ancestry !!!  ;D & I was close to downloading the original too out of curiosity  :o
Some of those transcriptions are beyond me but I had hoped this was a good lead but.............. >:(
Hi Annie

Thanks for your help with this anyway. Maybe catch up with you again in Edinburgh some time.

Chiad Fhear

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Yes it was Ancestry !!! Some of those transcriptions are beyond me

Yes. This was an especially gruesome mangling of the original.

Not quite the best yet, however. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700085