Author Topic: Advice Requested - Irish Immigration to Victoria 1853 - New Set of Eyes Needed!  (Read 3512 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Requested - Irish Immigration to Victoria 1853 - New Set of Eyes Needed!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 August 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
To add to the death found by Debra, this looks to be Thomas CAHILL's death (arrived with his family in 1839, age given then as 6; age a bit out)

Victoria, 1903, #7830
Thos CAHILL, 75
Died Wallan, Victoria
Father's Name:   Cahill Pat
Mother's name:   Margt Fitzgerald

So it seems very possible that your Mary was, in some way, related to this Margaret FITZGERALD.

You could try the Rootschat Limerick board and put up the CAHILL info plus Mary's name, age etc. and a link to this thread.

The person who owns the on-line tree has been logged in there very recently so perhaps she might be able to help as it seems from the name of the tree that she may have good infomration sabout a number of families although she has not given her sources. I notice also that Kilbehenny is on the border between Limerick/Tipperary/Cork so perhaps that would explain the possible confusion.

Is the obit for Mary GOODALL on line?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WGoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Requested - Irish Immigration to Victoria 1853 - New Set of Eyes Needed!
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 August 14 07:44 BST (UK) »

Hi Judith,

Thank you so much for following up with me - this is getting exciting!!  I must admit I've only been doing genealogy for about two years so I'm still learning.  I can see the addictive qualities in this hobby and I'm very willing to learn from others so, thank you!!

I had a quick look at the Limerick Roots Chat page and, before I was to begin the post I looked for a "Link to" button to reference the information on the Australian site but I wasn't able to find one.  Would you be able to tell me how to do that?

You mentioned an "on-line tree", do you mean on ancestry.com?  If so, I could go to the library tomorrow and look on-line (I don't have an ancestry subscription).  When I am there, I'll see if I can find a Victorian database for 1853.  Mary said she was living in Brighton, Victoria, before she married; I'll check if the Cahills were living in that suburb too.

Yes, there two obituaries for Mary Goodall online via Trove.  The first obituary is from "Leader, Melbourne, Victoria - Saturday, 12 June 1915, Page 56", the second obituary is from "The Lilydale Express, Victoria - Friday, 11 June 1915, Page 4" and it is repeated (exactly) in the "Ringwood and Croydon Chronicle, Victoria - Friday, 11 June 1915, Page 4".  Here are the two links

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/91375418?searchTerm=mary%20goodall&searchLimits=l-state=Victoria|||sortby=dateAsc|||dateFrom=1915-01-01|||dateTo=1915-12-31#pstart8537648

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/74595159?searchTerm=mary%20goodall&searchLimits=l-state=Victoria|||sortby=dateAsc|||dateFrom=1915-01-01|||dateTo=1915-12-31#reloadOnBack

Best regards.

Wendy
Goodall  -  Lewis  -  Fitzgerald  -  Curran
Munday  -  Waterworth  -  Hayes  -  Lee
MacKinnon  -  McKinnon  -  Nicholson  -  Cameron
Wilcox  -  Bonser  -  Needham  -  Taylor

Offline WGoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 August 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Judith,

I have attached a screen shot of Mary Goodall's death record from "Digger - Great War Index 1914-1920".

Best regards.

Wendy

Copyright image removed
Goodall  -  Lewis  -  Fitzgerald  -  Curran
Munday  -  Waterworth  -  Hayes  -  Lee
MacKinnon  -  McKinnon  -  Nicholson  -  Cameron
Wilcox  -  Bonser  -  Needham  -  Taylor

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 August 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Add a link - this works for me using copy and paste - highlight the URL and click ctrl and C then when you get to  the body of the message you can add the UR'Lin by clicking on ctrl and V.

Victorian electoral rolls for 1856 are online.  Males who had property or a miner's licence were eligible to enrol.  There are two Patrick CAHILLs but the man we seek may not have been enrolled.

Patrick CAHILL, farmer, Leman's Swamp, Prahran
The other man is in Melbourne, St Paul's district but I cannot get the correct image to load, just now.

Leman's swamp is apparently near what is now the Koornang Reserve in Carnegie, about 6k from Brighton  :-\

Yes, the tree I found was on Ancestry.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 August 14 07:15 BST (UK) »
I notice that the longer obit gives Mary's place of marriage as Green Hill, (now Oakleigh) which is certainly in the area where a Patrick CAHILL was farming in 1856.  :)  Judith

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 August 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
Wendy, you asked what brought your lady to Australia from Ireland in 1853.

This is not so long after the Potato Famine so it is possible she was just trying to escape the
dreadful conditions that were still going on, in Ireland, at the time.
Or her family may have encouraged her to 'leave for a better life' 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile