Author Topic: Help - Maria Blackborow and her many husbands!  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Mollymoofer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help - Maria Blackborow and her many husbands!
« on: Friday 01 August 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help me with a few puzzles?
I need a bit of help with sorting out the many marriages and children of Maria Blackborow if they are all one and the same!

The facts.
Maria Blackborow was born about 1796 in Bristol.The daughter of Samuel Blackborow and Sarah Clark.Her surname has been spelt Blackborrow,Blackborough and Blackburne in different documents.

She married

1. Thomas Brooks in Wymering,Hampshire 8th Sept 1816 and they had to my knowledge three children Mary A born 1819, Maria born 1822 died 1826? and Thomas Daniel born 1828.Thomas senior died sometime before April 1828 as Maria married again on the 14th of that month.

2. Benjamin Shaw in Wymering,Hampshire 14th April 1828 and they had two children to my knowledge Benjamin Cornelius born 1829 and Emma born 1830.Benjamin senior possibly died October 1829

3. George Saunders sometime between 1829 and 1844 (If they did marry)George I believe died in 1844.

4. ? Jones sometime between 1844 and 1851

5. John Pratt possibly in 1851 as I have a John Pratt marrying a Maria Jones in 1851

Why do I think this?

Well I have Maria in the Hampshire 1841 census living with George Saunders and family of Emma Saunders (Emma Shaw) dau aged 10,Amelia Saunders dau aged 6,George Saunders son aged 6,Albert Saunders son aged 3 and Emily Saunders dau aged 4 months.
A few doors away are her step mother Margaret Blackborow (transcribed as Margaret Blackburne) and two of her other children Thos Brooks from her first marriage and Benjamin Shaw from her second marriage.
In the Hampshire 1851 census Maria is now living with John Pratt aged 40 and her children George Saunders,Albert Saunders and Emily Saunders and her father Samuel Blackborow and her step mother Margaret Blackborow.

So what do I need help with?

Firstly I am looking for the age of Benjamin Shaw on his marriage to Maria Brooks.They married on the 14th April 1828 in Wymering , Hampshire.I have a death for a Benjamin Shaw in 1829 but this Benjamin was 84.Could he have been the husband of Maria and father of the two children?
Secondly I am looking for the marriage of Maria and George Saunders.
Thirdly for a marriage between her and a ? Jones or if not her marriage to John Pratt if she did not have a fourth marriage to a ? Jones. :-\

If anyone can help with any of the puzzles I would be very grateful as it has been giving me a bit of a headache :(

Offline Mollymoofer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Maria Blackborow and her many husbands!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi to anyone who has read my post

I think I have found Maria in the 1861 Hampshire census still living in Alverstoke but now going by the married name of Shaw as in her second husband.Which confirms,I think, my suspicions that she never married husbands numbers three George Saunders ,four? and lastly John Pratt.

I would still appreciate help and points of view on this  :)

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
um tricky. there is a Benjamin shaw dying in 1844 alverstoke as well as the 1829 death. Cornelius Benjamin shaw ( son ) seems to die in 1845 in alverstoke.

will continue looking and see what I find

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:15 BST (UK) »
the Benjamin that died 1829 left a will in which he says he leaves everything to maria who he has lately married and that she should support his only son Benjamin.  but unfortunately gives no clues to his age.

have you got the certificate - does this give his age as 84?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
The burial record shows Benjamin's age as 84 - there won't be a death certificate in 1829.

No luck finding a burial record for Thomas at the moment.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mollymoofer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 August 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Little Nell and vronlady

I have found the death of Benjamin senior and knew that his age was listed as 84 that was why I wanted to try and find a more detailed transcription of their marriage. I could then hopefully find Benjamins age from that and then know I have the right one  :)
I have the details of his son dying in 1845 and also his daughter who died in 1847.I wonder why she wasn't mentioned in the will?Maybe she wasn't his daughter then?
I will keep looking.

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
you have emma as born 1830 so I suspect when the will was made they didn't know she was pregnant with her.

Offline Mollymoofer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Yes I guess you are right as Maria could only have been 4 to 8 weeks at the time of his death

Offline jeanpooley1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 March 15 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Maria Shaw is my three times great grandmother, her daughter Amelia was my grandfathers mother and her daughter Emily was my grandmothers mother, both children of George Saunders. My grandfather and grandmother were first cousins. Maria did not marry again after Benjamin died although she had six children by George Saunders I believe Emma Shaw was probably George's child as well. Emma bap13 July1830
Benjamin senior died 14 Oct 1929. Maria and George Saunders first child Maria bap Oct 1831. Yes Benjamin was 84years when he died so must have been 82/83 when they married. I have found five children to Maria and Thomas Brooks who she married at Wymering in 1816. never found a death for Thomas though. John pratt lived with her at Mud Cottage until he died.    Have not come across a Jones.
Would love to know you connection to Maria,she certainly was a lady!!