Author Topic: Marriage of Eliza Ennis and Alonzo Benjamin Yates  (Read 3158 times)

Offline burbachl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Eliza Ennis and Alonzo Benjamin Yates
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 February 24 03:21 GMT (UK) »
I will try to figure that out. We are fairly close to John Muir, have hiked there several times!

Offline burbachl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 February 24 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I found on following website: http://www.wigenweb.org/columbia/marriages.html
That in 1848 Eliza Ennis and Benjamin Yates were married in Wyocena which is about 3 miles from Pardeeville. I think I was able to send a crusty photo of the house in the late 1800's. I would not have looked like that in 1848, much more primitive.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 19 February 24 20:13 GMT (UK) »
1848.  The thing is, though, that is clearly just based on the story recounted in the 'History of Columbia County.'  As I noted above, the Ennises didn't even get to Wisconsin until late 1848, at which time Eliza was only nine years old.  Eliza was recorded with her family in Buffalo Twsp., Marquette County, on the 1850 census - she was eleven years old and unmarried.  Furthermore, there is no sign of Alonzo in Wisconsin in 1850 and other sources say he came out from NY in 1854.  Since Eliza and Alonzo had their first child in about 1857, I think they probably got married in 1856/7. The marriage may well have occurred in Wyocena, but several years after 1848.  The Ennises had later connections to Wyocena and other locations in Columbia.  For example, Eliza's youngest brother, David, was a schoolteacher in Wyocena for a short while in the 1870s.

Thanks for that photo.  It looks quite elegant though, as you say, it would have been a bit more primitive in the early days.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis