Author Topic: 1909 & 1910 NSW First Grade Football team photos  (Read 1864 times)

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1909 & 1910 NSW First Grade Football team photos
« on: Saturday 02 August 14 05:02 BST (UK) »
Dear members,

I would like to know if there would be any old NSW footy team photos from 1909 and 1910.

The person I am interested in played for NSW and also the Redfern F.C.

Here are some of the details which may help.

1909 NSW v Queensland   
04-09-1909    1st Grade    Captain: William P Cooper     Manager: William George Fleming     Exhibition Ground Brisbane   

1910 NSW v North Adelaide FC – 1   
11-06-1910  1st Grade   Captain: Mesac William Goulburn (Goldie) Thomas   Coach: E P Finlay  Erskineville Oval

Kind regards
Steve

Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Cooke..........Camden Town,St.Pancrass in London
Charles........Woolwich,Chatham,Gillingham in Kent
Duffey..........Leeds
Glen.............Co.Clare
Irving...........Chatham & Deptford
Mitchell.........Staines in M/sex & Gillingham in Kent
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds
Smokeham....St.Pancras,Camden Town in London

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1909 & 1910 NSW First Grade Football team photos
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 14 06:31 BST (UK) »
Which form of "footy" are you interested in. Rugby League, Rugby Union, AFL, or soccer.

There are a lot of mentions on Trove, but just putting Redfern football club brings up all versions.

AC

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 14 07:49 BST (UK) »
Dear members,

I would like to know if there would be any old NSW footy team photos from 1909 and 1910.

1910 NSW v North Adelaide FC – 1   
11-06-1910  1st Grade   Captain: Mesac William Goulburn (Goldie) Thomas   Coach: E P Finlay  Erskineville

I cannot help with the team photos, but I can see the marriage for Mesac  ;D   Perhaps his ushers also played in his team? 

At St. Stephen's Church- Newtown, on Saturday, October 7, the Rev W L Langley solemnised the marriage of Miss Amy Wright, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Wright,of Newtown (late of Mittagong), to Mr. W. G.M. Thomas, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mesac Thomas, of Waverley. The church was beautifully decorated by friends for the occasion. The bride wore a lace dress over satin charmeuse, with pearl trimmings, also an embroidered veil and wreath of orange blossoms, and carried a shower bouquet and prayer book, the latter being the gift of the Rev. W. L. Langley; also a pearl and amethyst pendant, the gift from the bridegroom. She -was attended by her sister, Miss May Wright. Mr. Herbert Thomas acted as best man and Messrs. Musgrave, Pite, and Dougall as ushers. After the ceremony Miss Phogan sang "Beloved, It is Morn," and a reception was held in Baumann's Cafe.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15288377  Smh 11 Nov 1911

NSW BDM ref #13972 (Mesal W G THOMAS and Amy M WRIGHT, at Newtown NSW)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 August 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
HI,

The chap I am after was a half back flank and a rover so I guess it was AFL as he was born in Vic.

Kind regards
Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Cooke..........Camden Town,St.Pancrass in London
Charles........Woolwich,Chatham,Gillingham in Kent
Duffey..........Leeds
Glen.............Co.Clare
Irving...........Chatham & Deptford
Mitchell.........Staines in M/sex & Gillingham in Kent
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds
Smokeham....St.Pancras,Camden Town in London

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 August 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the Archives at City of Sydney, as they have a very large photo collection ?

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/sydneys-history/people-and-places/park-histories/erskineville-oval

"A sports ground for cricket and football was built in the park, and the football ground was later enlarged for Australian Rules matches."

ADD

http://www.phafl.com.au/details.php?p_id=56  It seems that in 1903, the NSW Australian Football League was formed   ........ scroll down, towards the end of the article there's the name of a chap (who is an OAM) and he is from the "History Committee" .... perhaps he has photos....  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile