Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77382 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #333 on: Saturday 31 December 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I wonder where we reached the conclusion that Strygos was an earlier badly written version of 'Esgair y gors'.
The problem now, if we discount that thought, is that there are many farms  with Strygos in the name. Finding the most obvious one, with a Twyn y rhose close by etc., could be a fruitful exercise and help us to link the earlier wills to the family that we know. From the Indentures we are certain that Strygos/Strygos Fawr is firmly fixed in Lledrod so we won't have to search outside the parish boundaries.
 That's it for this evening. We've celebrated the old Pagan New Year, (me) on the 21st of Dec. We celebrate the Russian Orthodox New Year on the 13th January, (her) and tonight, we have the same as everyone else, specifically, because this is only one of two days in Sweden that we are allowed to set off fireworks and make as much noise as we can!
                                                    "Gott  Nytt År" from Peter.
                            For the readers in Cardiganshire. "Blwyddyn Newydd Da".
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Sunday 01 January 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
 The mistaken identification of Strygos as being Esgair-y-gors is shown on page 9 of this Topic. Like a lot of the stuff that we've looked at, it all seemed reasonable at the time and was probably brought about by the fact that we couldn't find anywhere called Strygos. I've had a look at an old map of Lledrod, upper and lower, and still can't find it. Damn.
                                         Regards, Peter
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Sunday 01 January 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it was necessarily a mistake,it's just that I've now seen the "fach" version that I hadn't seen before and that made me wonder.It may be that the original is correct but just not referred to on the map as"fawr".In the 1841 census there is reference to  Esgerygors Uchaf and Isaaf in "LLanfihangel Lethyr Troed" which appear at the start of a folio,so perhaps on a parish boundary edge.I always find it difficult to know which parish/boundary is applicable.Perhaps in the 1760 freeholders the |"Scrygos" under Lledrod is the "fawr" and that under Langeitho is the "fach".

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Sunday 01 January 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
 I'm having another think regarding the name-changes for Esgair Y Gors. The 1760 Freeholders show it as Scrygos and other Indents show it as Strygos. Both of these shortened names would fit into my original comment regarding the scribes of the day ... if you add the strictly local manner of speech then, once again, it looks as if we may have been correct on page 9.
  I think that the main reason for the name changes is simply the transposition of a spoken word into the scribe's attempt at a phonetic reproduction of the name. The fact that we haven't been able to find a Strygos speaks volumes and the fact that Esgair is slap-bang in the 'centre of operations' for the same family line that started with Richard David is also a big plus. We always have problems reading the names of properties shown in Wills and this too is an indicator of the problem that the scribe had with Welsh names.
 Ty'n y rhos remains a mystery. "House in the Marsh" could give an indication of its location and it may be remote from the farmhouse depending on the acreage. Tyddyn Bryn Isa had 750 acres making its boundaries a long way from the house.
 Just spent another hour searching maps. (Llanfihangel Llethyr Troed is the original name for Lledrod). I'm beginning to see groups of farmers on the map ... they all appear to be laughing at me!
                                        Regards. Peter
Just had a look at the 1701 Will of Thomas Davies. My new PC must have a better graphics card because, once again, the image is nice and clear.
It shows 'Esgerygos' ... all one word and it doesn't need much to read it as Estrygos as there is something from the line above that imposes just above the letter 'g'.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what the last word is on line 7 of Rev. Edward Richards' will?

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »
 It's Derigaron, one of his farms in Caron. He also leaves, (to another son), the adjoining farm of Ochrderigaron.
                                       Regards, Peter                     

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I speculated previously on a connection with the Davies family of Glyn(ne).I'm more convinced now,though i havre yet to discover,again,whether it is famiial or not.
The will of Peter Davies of Glynne Ucha,1845,amongst extensive property references,gives"...his daughter Anne Wiliams of Derigaron..",and I think also  "...my daughter Eliza Williams of Waunfawr..)
If correct on the second name that is two properties from the will of Rev Edward Richards.
This Peter Davies is described as "gent" on the (non conformist) baptism record of his son Peter in 1822 and,coincidence(?),I think I have found a record for a John Lewis,born 1815 to John Lewis("gent") ad wife Elizabeth of Glynne Isa.

Another coincidnce(?) is that not far from Glyn(ne) Ucha is another Bwlch y Ddwallt.If you remember the will of Thomas Richard of Caron (1808) had a debt to a Peter Davies,and there are indent references to Thomas Richard of  Bwlch y Ddwyallt.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
  I'm ploughing through your last post. Did you notice that in the Will of Edward he states that Derigaron, (now Derri-Garon), is in the occupation of Jenkin Williams. There are no records of the sons of Edward that actually lived in any of the 5 properties. George lived in a cottage near one of them and I see that Thomas Alexander, the Surgeon, was in Tregaron for the 1861census but he may have been visiting or on business. (He was living relatively close at St. Arvans, Monmouthshire at the time).
 Do you think that there is a link between your John Lewis (1815) and Jane's husband, John Lewis,(1814). He was born in Llangoedmor and I'm wondering whether your Glyn(ne) is in that area.
 This peter Davies died in 1845. All of Edward's farms were still in his family's possession at this date but Peter may have held the tenancies of the two in question with the Williams family as under-tenants. Perhaps Elizabeth is simply from Waunfawr, Lower Caron. (An administration area for the Tregaron Board of Guardians).
  I see yet another farm owned by the Richards family in Lledrod. Elizabeth, the widow of David of Ffos is shown at Rhyd Llwyd in 1862. It lies a short distance West of Ynysberfedd.
                                    regards. Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Glyn Ucha and Glyn Isa are just outside Llangeitho,with Ucha being near Caerllugest,the abode of John Davies who has the interest in "Scrygos" in the 1760 freeholders list.I was just going to look at the options for John Lewis.I had seen the Jenkin Williams 1841 census.I think he also appears in The Wales Dictionary of National Biography.

Regards
Roger