Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77318 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #342 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite sure which couple you mean by Jane and her husband John Lewis(1814).Do  you have a census or other reference?

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 07:51 GMT (UK) »
  Sorry, I'm referring to Jane, the daughter (1795)  of Jane (was Richards, (1757), and Owen Davies (1733).
Jane, their daughter, (1795) was married to John Lewis, (1814), born Llangoedmor. They had 5 children. Beware that one of the 5 children, (another John Lewis (1834), married another Jane, (was Richards), (1834).
  The 1871 census shows Joseph Davies at Ynysberfedd, (unmarried), together with Jane (1795) and husband John Lewis, (1814), plus the 5 children and 2 servants.
 The Dob of John (1814) was taken from this census and may have been 1815.
                              Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 census has a couple Jame and John 1833 and 1834,and certainly no Jane 1795.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Probably a brainstorm due to 3 Janes !
   I've just read the 1808 will of Thomas Richards. I see that the Jenkin Davies held the mortgage and Petter Davies was a Bond-holder. If you add all the cash bequests to his 2 sons and 4 daughters, plus the order to repay the mortgage and Bond, this Thomas Richards was very well off. £50 in 1808 was the equivalent of over £60,000 in an earnings related comparison.
 I  can't find the 1845 Will of Petter Davies.
                                                              Regards, Peter
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 10:21 GMT (UK) »
The will is in the name of Peter Davies(referred to as Petter in the 1808 will)
I've only just noticed,but the MI references I gave for a number of the John and Jane Lewis combinations are given as of Cwmmeurig.This is adjacent to Llwyn Goffre,possiibly Clawdd Kerrig, and the Ty'n Rhos as I mentioned in that context before(and maybe Pant y Ffynon and Blaen yr Esgair)
I will try to build a grouping based on indents,wills and properties around these.It may well be this evening as I am going out shortly.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I forgot that LGC only gives Wills up to 1838.
 My Wife has gone shopping with my bank-card. I may never see her again!
                                                        regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I have begun to piece together some relationships,which,even if not directly relevant,may be useful for elimination.
I have started with David Richard of Clawdd Kerrig(1722 will),for no other good reason than it refers to three properties that seem reasonably adjacent,one of which has a name without similarity in the area.
The will specifies Clawdd Kerrig(I think now called Cloddau),Llwyn(y)Gof(f))re,and Pant y Ffynnon.
The first two properties are left to his father Richard Thomas and his wife Magdalen Jenkin,but by some settlement on David's marriage,after their demise they return to his cousin Thomas David.
The third property,Pant y Ffynnon is left to his brother Edward,who therefore turns out to be the Edward Richard of 1753 Ystrad Meurig will in which the property is mentioned,as well as "..my father
Richard Thomas.." who reputedly begets a sister Margaret for Edward.She is the Margaret Richard of the 1782 will and I can trace this line further forward if necessary(it includes a reference to a "Jenkin Llwyngoffre",perhaps a relative of Magdalen Jenkin?)i

There may be intervening data to discover on the other two properties,but a half moiety appears in 1756 and 1761 indents(which also includes a property called Tyddyn y Prygnant,which I believe was an "outpost" for the school at Ystrad Meurig).
To cut a long story short two of the parties involved a Mary and Margaret Davies are described in the later indent as "co-heiresses of David Thomas"(note change from patronymic).I suspect that they are therefore sisters of the "cousin Thomas David" from the original start will of 1722.This would make the father of that David Richard to be Richard Thomas,brother to David Thomas.I haven't tried to find this Richard Thomas yet.
There is also a William Davies named,who could be a further relative,but I haven't tried to find out yet,and I'm not convinced he's the same William Davies as in later indents yet either.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Friday 06 January 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I was going back over the Lewis/nephew question and whether along the right lines or not,I came across a name I recognised.In pursuing this line some "interesting" records appear.
The name was Charles Pryse,seen at least as far back as 1694 indents with David Richard/Goley.
There are at least a couple of abodes associated with lines of this family- Rhandir and Pant y Barwn(the latter at SY23 4SR,between Lledrod and Llangwyryfon).
There are four wills at least which span the period of interest)(watch out for minor spelling variation)

Charles Pryse 1755(unknown if the same as 1694 indent or relative)
Thomas Pryse 1781(son of above and father of next Charles Pryse)
Rev. Daniel Lewis 1837
Margaret Davies 1843(mother of Jane,wife of Rev. Daniel Lewis)

The "interesting" records around this scene are as follows,three marriage bonds at NLW

1772  Charles Pryse,gent,Llangwyryfon to Dorothy Hughes,spinster,Llanilar
1774  David Richards,gent,St. Brides,alias St B,London to Dorothy Hughes,widow,Llanilar
        (the St.Brides location may indicate a "clandestine" marriage)
1788 Charles Pryse,gent,Llangwyryfon to Jane Richards,Llangwyryfon

Bundle(marked 1693-1800) of deeds at NLW  from Roberts and Evans (solicitors),relating to Pantybarwn,in which a Charles Pryse commits to convey the equity of redemption of the whole of his estate to the Rev. Thomas Davies(of Pantyfedwen,as in 1801 will,see later)

Further bundle,marked 1842-1865,in which several "familiar" Davies from the indents,attend to various financal mattters of the Rev. Thomas Davies estate,as he appears at some stage to have been declared lunatic.

Regards
Roger

Margaret Lewis 1843(hopefully explained later)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: Saturday 07 January 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger.
  I've been without Internet access for the last couple of days so need a little time, with fingers crossed, to catch up on your research. I must say that it all looks very complicated and, hopefully, you can carry it forward as it's well beyond my very limited resources, search and cerebral !
 Record low temperatures further north of minus 41.3 C ... Here, a balmy minus 15C.
                                                              Regards, Peter,