Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77341 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #486 on: Thursday 02 February 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I'll try to bridge the gap for Cwmffrwd between the 1753 will and census data.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: Thursday 02 February 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
 Just read the 1753 Will. Edward and Margaret appear to be the children of Richard Thomas. Did you notice how easy it is to read ... it was written and witnessed by Edward Richard, Schoolmaster and he is stated to be "the kin of my Grandfather x 3". I'm almost sure that, later, he became the owner of Pantyffynnon.
                                     regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: Thursday 02 February 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I came to the same conclusion,which,remarkably,I think makes Edward(1753) and Margaret(1782 will),brother and sister of David Richard of the 1722 will!.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: Thursday 02 February 17 23:46 GMT (UK) »
In checking for the correct Pantyffynon,nearest to Llwyngoffre etc i found that "next door" to this was Hafod y gofen,surely.the abode of Joseph Davies the executor in the 1806 David Davies will.
See top right of the following map(with Llwyngoffre etc. top left of the adjacent map)

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101608033

Joseph(1794) could be the son of this Joseph.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: Friday 03 February 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
   Your shot at the correct Pantyffynnon is on the mark. The will of 1753 states, 'Pantyffynnon, Ystradmeurig'. ( The one that I remember from Edward Richard, Schoolmaster, was at Swyddffynnon). One point about the Joseph Davies of 1794 is that he is always shown as being born in Lledrod.
  The name of Joseph Davies reminds me of our search for a David Richards where everything we touched produced one that we were unable to recognise immediately as the correct one.
We still haven't investigated the 'Elephant in the room' of the two Davies brothers that are associated with Penbryn. With their mother, Elizabeth, still alive in the 1790s, then either of her two sons, William and Richard, (her next of Kin) would be possibles as being Joseph's father and the husband of the Richards woman that lived next-door at Bryn Issaf. This would fix his birthplace as Lledrod.
                                        Regards, Peter
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: Friday 03 February 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
What's left of my brain hurts.....

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
  We already have some information about the Davies family of Penbryn from various indentures. I here add some snippets from them.

The 'Fine', original is dated 1762
[Thomas Richards, gent. and Jane his wife, of two tmt's called Penbryn-issa alias Tythyn-y-bryn-merllyd, and Bryn-merllyd alias Tythyn-bryn-issa, and of a parcel of land called Gorse-glan-teify (60 a.), p. Lledrod, co. Card., to the use (as to the said parcel of land) of the said Morgan Harry in fee, but that no uses had been declared as to the said two tmt's, they therefore declared that the said fine should enure (as to the said two tmt's) to the use of William Davies of Penbryn, Lledrod.]

[Indenture, being a mortgage for £300 from Thomas Richards of p. Lledrod, co. Card., gent., to Elizabeth Davies of p. Sputty Ystrad Meirick, co. Card., widow, of two tmt's called Penybryn-meillid and Bryn-llyd in said p. Lledrod. Dated 1764.]

[ an indenture was made on the condition that the said Richard Davis would release the said tmt's to his brother before 7 April 1773, and that the said Richard Davis had not paid the £650 consideration money, and was not to pay it but to hold the said tmt's on trust for the said William Davis.]

Extract from an indenture of 1778
 [ Elizabeth Davies of p. Lledrod, co. Card., widow, and Richard Davies of p. Llanvihangel Lledrod, gent. (brother of William Davies of Penbrynn in same p., gent.)

Entry from FreeReg. Infant Elizabeth Davies, death in 1798. (another sibling?)

If you add to this the fact that Joseph's sister, Ameilia, married the John Jones, (son of the Smith at Swyddffynnon, which is only a stone's throw from Penbryn and Bryn Issaf), then this hypothesis has more going for it than any other, so far.
                                                                regards, Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: Friday 03 February 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
The very vaguest possible age for William Davies(If the right one!) may come from the following:-

A 1756 indent(search "William Davies "+ "1756" + "Hendrefelen") talks of a nuptial settlement between Jane,eldest daughter of William,and John Morgan.
There is a 1755 marriage under Strata Florida for John Morgan and Jane Davies which fits.
This might give Jane's birth at circa 1730 and William's circa 1700-1710?

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: Friday 03 February 17 19:51 GMT (UK) »
 There are two William Davies involved in the Indentures. The parents are William and Elizabeth Davies and William and Richard Davies are their sons. I would say that the parents would be born C 1710 for William and later for Elizabeth. (She is a widow in 1764 and is still alive in 1778). Dates for the two sons would be circa 1845/55.
  There aren't any records for the two sons, (except for the mention in indents shown above). The parents are shown as of Ystrad Meurig but nothing for the sons.
  I included the death details for the Infant, Elizabeth, (1798) as another random shot. If one of the Davies sons is involved with the unknown Richards woman then both sets of parents have a mother named Elizabeth. As well as our search for various Josephs I have also had a search for Amilia Davies, just in case there would be a link but, once again, nothing. The wills that we've looked at all have a Davies in them but only one, without a link either forwards or backwards to give us a pointer in the right direction.
 If the William in the wedding settlement Hendrefelen is our William Davies Snr. then the daughter Jane would be the sister of William Jnr. and Richard. Our Joseph Davies of Ynysperfedd names his second child, Jane.
 No wonder our heads hurt; I think that we may be banging the proverbial brick wall!
                                                  Regards, Peter.