Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77239 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 16 August 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
We can write David Richards, the past owner of the Mill at Lledrod from our enquiries. I have the following information from the Library of Wales.
 "Burial of David Richards, Gent, of Tynllan, Lledrod, in 1810, aged 63. (DoB is 1747). Also David Richards, (B 1790-1807), son of the aforesaid David Richards and his wife Elisabeth Richards."
 The house, Tynllan, was included in the transfer of the mill to Jenkin Jones and it seems that David lived there from 1786 until his death.
                                                                regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 16 August 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
A piece of idle speculation,with apologies if it is going over old ground.
What chance(ignoring possible patronymic complications) that the parents of John and James are a John and Elizabeth?
The first four children of John and Anne were(in no particular order) Anne,Michael,John,Elizabeth.
Anne and Michael were the names of the parents of Anne.
John was also the eldest son of James and Elizabeth.I'm not sure if they had a daughter Elizabeth,but this would be complicated by the wife's name anyway.

I'll see if I can find such a couple in the area in the 1750s/1760s.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 16 August 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
I spoke too soon. David Richards, as well as leaving Tynllan to his wife, also left her the farm Pen-lan. This is the first house on the track that leads to Bryn Issaf etc.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 16 August 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, James had a daughter Elizabeth ... she is the one that married Robert Prichard of Llwydiarth Esgob ... Robert and Elizabeth had 3 children named Elizabeth, the first 2 died as infants.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 16 August 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Just discovered another Pen-lan on my old map ...200M down the road from Tynllan! Damn.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 16 August 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
Rev. John's 1st son, Michael, had children John and Elizabeth
Rev. John's 2nd son John, also had children named John and Elizabeth.
His 3rd son Robert, also had children John and Elizabeth.
His 4th son has a child, John.
 With there being so many children born to the immediate family of the Rev, John and James, there are bound to be some name transfers although it's never quite obvious which Elizabeth and John were involved. Has to be worth a try.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 18 August 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
I haven't found a suitable John and Elizabeth.
The MI booklets have arrived,and there are no entries that immediately seem relevant.There are very few burials from the 1700s.
Looking at location-these are the entries from properties of interest so far(copyright Cardiganshire FHS where appropriate)

Strygos - no entries.Indeed I have never been able to find another reference to this property anywhere.I have not been able to identify the property referred to with it in 1769 "twyn y rhose"(tyn y rhos?) either.

Ffosybleidded (sic) - there is reference to a very young daughter of David Edwards (Gent)of Ffosybleideded in 1798 and similarly a son in 1803.

In the next grave there is an David Edwards(1793-1813),son of David Edwards of Deryodwyn(Gent)

Ynysyberfedd - Owen Davies died 1812 aged 79 and his wife Jane died 1822 aged 67

Tynllan - quite a few entries that reflect the family of David(died 1810) and Elizabeth Richards(died 1830) as per the wills.

Bryn Isaf(Bryn Issa)-  Stephen James,died 1859 aged 66 (wife Anne)
                                Daniel Morgans diedv 1888 aged 80(plus wife Catherine and children)

These entries are from Lledrod.I will look separately at Ystrad Meurig.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 18 August 14 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,
             I've never been able to find Strygosfawr or Twyn-y-rhose either. Looking again at the 1769 Doc. it says, "messuages and land". Messuages are the house and other buildings so there must have been an actual place, rather than the doc being simply a transfer of land. Lledrod is a large spread-out parish but there isn't a peep of the properties. Looking at another doc. regarding the sale of the mill at Lledrod, we have 3 names for the same house, "Ty Issa, or Wainhelig, or Wainbaby" so the name Strygos may have changed, concealing its' location.
 My notes show that David Richards was the resident at Ffosybleiddiad from 1757 to 1843 and then his son, David Meredith Richards was there from 1843 to C1870's. In 1880 the place was sold by the Lloyds of Mabws to the Trawsgoed Estate. I also have note of various servants at the house and a note that the huge kitchen of the house was used to house students at the Edward Richard School. (They slept in hammocks strung up in the rafters).
 The dates that you have for Bryn Issaf are too late. John and James first appeared in Llanerchymedd in the early 1790's. their parents would have been born C1735/40.

I'm now looking at Llechwedd, Llangwyryfon, where there is a nest of Richards. The "Head" is a David Richards, (1801) with a wife Mary and son Daniel. Fingers croseed.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 18 August 14 13:46 BST (UK) »
My real concern in all this is that the answer lies in patronymic naming and the father is a "Richard X".It may not mean anything,but the Family Search record for John's marriage has him as John Richard.

Regards
Roger