Author Topic: Pte Thomas Hewson The Kings (Liverpool) Regiment, Labour Corp  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Bobbi.T

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pte Thomas Hewson The Kings (Liverpool) Regiment, Labour Corp
« on: Monday 04 August 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm hoping someone can please help me find more information about my grandfather who served in the above regiment. From the Brit Army WW! Medal Rolls Index Card 1914-1920 I have established his Regtl.No was 4469 600118. He received Victory & British medals under Roll L/O 101B229  Page 23267

I am not very experienced in genealogy & have searched the internet but cant seem to find anything about him or what he actually did. I would love to know details about his army life or in fact anything about him.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me find out more about my granddad who died in 1948 in Liverpool, or point me in the right direction.

Thank you.  :)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Pte Thomas Hewson The Kings (Liverpool) Regiment, Labour Corp
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 August 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bobbi.T, welcome to Rootschat!!!

Did your grandfather die in the Crosby registration district of Merseyside? http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/crosby.html  If so, the death index gives an approximate date of birth as 1886, with him being aged 62 when he died. 

Does this sound accurate to you?  Just want to check that we are on the right chap!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 August 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
This will give you some more information about The King's Regiment http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/visit/galleries/soldiers/research/index.aspx

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 August 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
I think the fact that he started in the King's Regiment, then finished up in the Labour Corps may indicate that he was either injured whilst on the front line and could not be returned, or that for some reason he may not have passed the fitness criteria to be sent to the front.  The Labour Corps was formed in 1915.

Offline Bobbi.T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Spidermonkey. Thanks for the welcome & quick reply. Yes he lived in Litherland so that came under Crosby I believe. I read that about the labour corps but I originally thought it was their responsible for going out & digging trenches etc. Until that point I hadn't even considered who dug them. I am desperate to find out more now. Thank you also for the link, I will def go & have a look.
Regards

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 August 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
You should ask a moderator to move this to the WW1 section/Armed Forces.

You may have a problem identifying his Liverpool Battalion. 4469 indicates he was in one of the Liverpools six Territorial battalions – 5th  to 10th  Liverpool Regiment. Each had their own numbering sequence. So there would have been a 4469 in all six battalions. They started at 1 in 1908 so 4469 suggests it was allocated after WW1 started.  The lack of a 1914-15 Star means he did not go overseas until 1916 at the earliest.

Unfortunately his medal card does not show a six-digit Territorial number, which were issued in blocks and can assist in identifying the battalion. Assuming you have checked Ancestry for his service record, I would ask the KLR museum if he is listed in their database.

There are a number of Labour Corps experts on the Great War Forum. I would also post a question on that site asking if they can tell you when 600118 was issued.

Ken

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 August 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
I think this might be your grandfather in the 1901 census - big family!!!

106 Brookhill Road, Bootle,
John Hewson 35  Head  Corporation Labourer  bn Bootle
Mary Hewson 33  Wife  bn Bootle
Thomas Hewson 15  Son  Errand Boy  bn Liverpool
John Hewson  14  Son  Apprentice to painter  bn Liverpool
Mary A Hewson  11  Dau  bn Bootle
Martha Hewson  9  Dau  bn Bootle
Robert Hewson  7  Son  bn Bootle
Isabella Hewson 5  Dau  bn Bootle
Jane Hewson  3  Dau  bn Bootle
James Hewson  1  Son  bn Bootle
Catherine O'Brien  63  Mother in Law  bn Ireland
John O'Brien  18  Nephew  Labourer in ? Works  bn Liverpool

Offline Bobbi.T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 August 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info & guidance Ken.

As you can see its my first post which is why I put in this section, but that's probably a good idea.  Mind you, I don't know how to ask a Moderator! LOL :)

I had noticed that his 'numbers' weren't the same as others Id seen mentioned & did wonder why. The only other six digit number was 600118 on the line under the 4469 ie
Corps:         Rank:          Regtl No:
L'pool R        Pte              4469
Lab. C                             600118

I originally though the labour corps was a division of the Liverpool Regiment but I now realise its two different corps. Now you can see why Im eager to find out more as my WW1 knowledge is so basic.
I have searched Ancestry & the KLR sites but cant find anything Im afraid.

I think that's a good suggestion about the other forum so I will do that. Im just hungry for any info now.

Thanks again.
Regards.

Offline Bobbi.T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 August 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spidermonkey

That certainly is my grandfather. The Robert (age 7 ) was my father. Yes, a massive family! The poor women in those days!

According to my records he got married in Sept 1914, so maybe that's why he didn go overseas until after 1916. ? I understanding at the time of his marriage he was a carter, although I believe a lot of my Liverpool ancestors worked at the docks.