Author Topic: Dukinfield 1851 Census Lookup  (Read 1469 times)

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dukinfield 1851 Census Lookup
« on: Tuesday 28 June 05 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I would be grateful if someone can do a lookup on the 1851 Dukinfield census for William Frederic Bury & his wife Mary & children. I know they had a daughter Amelia who was baptised in Dukinfield (St. John's) on 11/5/1851 so she may be listed also. They married in Feb 1844 so there may be older children. William should be listed as approx. 33 years old.

Thanks

Adamjack

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Dukinfield 1851 Census Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
     Here they are in 1851

HO107-2237-F237  70 Caroline Street Dukinfield

William F Bury head 30 merchant of cotton goods Manchester
Mary               wife 42 Staley Bridge
Sarah M          daug 3
Amelia               ~    1 month
Alice Folks visitor marr 53 nurse Rochdale

in 1861 they were at number 83 Caroline Street minus Amelia

RG9-2996-Folio 118

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Thank you very much for finding the record in the 1851 Dukinfield census on William F Bury & his family for me. Can you please tell me which date the 1851 census was taken on?

You also checked the 1861 census for me & said that their daughter Amelia who was 1 month old when the 1851 census was taken, was not listed on the 1861 census. Therefore, I'm assuming that she had died by then. I looked on the Cheshire BMD website for her death but couldnt find any under her name.

Also I am 99% sure that William & Mary also had an earlier child, George Cook Bury (as Mary's maiden name was Cook & her father was George), whose birth I found on Cheshire BMD, in Dukinfield in 1846, who is not listed in the 1851 Dukinfield census entry you gave me, so again I'm assuming he had died between 1846 & 1851 when the census was taken, but again I couldn't find a death for him on Cheshire BMD. I understand that all deaths, etc have not been entered on the site.

I am living in Austalia, so I don't know how else I can search for their deaths other than requesting the Registry of Births in Southport, Merseyside to conduct a search for their deaths which would no doubt be costly if they agreed to do so.

I would appreciate your help or advice.

Many thanks & kind regards,

Adam

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
     It was taken on the 30 March 1851.
     The BMD index for the whole of England and Wales can be searched online at https://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/index.html It does cost but not as much as having a search done by the RO.
     Could the children have been with relatives ? I am fairly sure the death indexes for Dukinfield in the Cheshire BMD are complete up to 1839 only.

hope this helps, get back if there is anything else.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 05 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam
              below is a copy of your PM received today

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply to my last email.

I'm trying to find the birth of my ancestor William Frederick Bury in Manchester in 1854. However, I believe his birth will be under the name of William Frederick Rosson, as I believe he was the illegitimate son of Bertha Rosson, born Manchester circa 1834.

This is because I found Bertha & William living by themselves on the 1861 census in Manchester (Pg 8, municipal ward of New Cross, sub-registration district of Ancoats, ecclesiastical parish of St Barnabas). Bertha is listed as a 26 year old confectioner & William is listed as 6 years old, making his year of birth 1854 (after 7 April) or early 1855 before 7 April when the census was taken, both born in Manchester. However I haven't been able to find William's birth in the civil registrations. His place of birth on the certificates for his 2 marriages & children's births in Australia is listed as Manchester. Also his name on the shipping arrival in Australia is listed as William Rosson (it may also be listed as William Bury, have to check).

William's father is meant to be William Frederick Bury Snr born 1820 Manchester, who William Jr & Bertha Rosson emigrated to Australia with in 1865 along with Bertha's sister Ann Rosson. However, I found William Snr's marriage to Mary Cook in Stockport in 1844 & then the births of their daughters Sarah Matilda & Amelia & possibly a son, George Cook Bury. You found them living in Dukinfield on both the 1851 & 1861 censuses.

Therefore for William Snr to be William jnr's father he must have had an affair with Bertha Rosson, or maybe more likely is that someone else was William Jr's father. Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that both their names are William Frederick, as Bertha's father's name was William & maybe Frederick was a name in her family too.

I would like to find William jr's birth, also to find out if there is any reference to his father in any records, when William Snr left his family between the census in 1861 & emigrating to Victoria, Australia with Bertha & William in 1865. Should I pursue a church in the ecclesiastical parish of St Barnabas, where Bertha & William were living at the time of the 1861 census, in case William was baptised there also? If so I would have to search on the internet for this.

Many thanks for your advice

Kind regards Adam 

There is not a great deal of extra detail I can add to what has already been found, except that I have just checked the 1861 census you quoted and Bertha is a widow, don't know if you saw this but it could mean William was baptised under Bertha's maiden name, whatever that was.
       Did William Bury marry Bertha Rosson in Australia or UK or did they not bother.
       I would suggest you post on our Lancs board and try to find census details prior to 1861 for Bertha also her marriage, if the widow bit is to be believed.
       For any BMD's in Manchester you should look firstly at Manchester Cathedral but someone on the Lancs board with local knowledge will point you in the right direction.

this link will give you some pointers
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Manchester/Cathedral.shtml

good luck

peterbennett

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Thank you for your reply. I will post my enquiry on the Lancs board like you suggest.

I did notice on the 1861 census entry for Bertha & William Rossom (sic) that Bertha is listed as a widow, I forgot to mention that to you in my previous email. I will try & find a record of her possible marriage in the online civil registration indexes on British Origins or on the Lancashire BMD site. I'll try & find a reference to Bertha in the 1851 census also. I've also emailed Manchester Central Library/Archives regarding finding William Rosson's birth/baptism so I'll ask them if they can do a search of the Cathedral marriage records for Bertha's marriage if I can't find it online.

Bertha's maiden name was Rosson. Yes I had decided that William Frederick Jr was baptised under Bertha's maiden name Rosson.

To answer your question William F Bury Snr I assume met Bertha Rosson in England before they emigrated to Australia aboard the White Star to Victoria in 1865. Unless they met on the ship or in Australia after arriving, but I would think the former is more likely don't you?

Thanks again, Adam