Author Topic: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff  (Read 17650 times)

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 22:57 GMT (UK) »
cath I just sent you a message.
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline Dark Island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 09 January 16 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cath,

I have little on your Grand-da James Walker beyond the following. I lost him after Forres & could only spot "another" James in Edinburgh! Looks like it wasn't the right one so any confirmation on his family would be appreciated:

"James b.at Moss-side, Rafford on 28 March & baptised 2 May 1850. 1861 census has him aged 11 at Woodside with his mother Helen & other siblings. Helen, 44 was on the Poor Rates! By 1871 who I think is our James was at 178 High Street, Forres with the Kynoch family where he is designed as an unmarried 21 year old shopman from Rafford. 1881 census has a James Walker (?) at Newington Edinburgh working as a commercial traveller with a wife Agnes & daughter Agnes, 4 & son George, 1. By 1891 census he, trading as a bookmaker, is at 24 Polwarth Crescent with children James, 9; Rose, 7; & Thomas, 3. By 1901 they’re at 52 Polwarth Gardens but with no Thomas but new daughter Margarette. James is a master bookmaker. By 1911 James, 62, is alone at 98 Morrison Street".

Regards

Dark Island 

Offline Cath.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dark Island

Thanks for the information, we didn't have any on that James Walker. That is my great grandfather George's son. He had a sister Isabella and brothers, William, John and George, who we know of.

My Grandfather James Walker was born on the 27th July 1883 at Caroline Street, Forres, Morayshire. He had sisters Hellen, Margaret, Mary and Elizabeth and brothers George, Alexander, Joseph, William and Richard. Their parents were George Walker and Mary Robb.

My Grandfather James married Mary Mathieson on the 24th November 1905 in Larkhall, Lanarkshire, and was a spirit salesman. They moved to Wishart Street, Glasgow, and had 4 daughters- Jessie Houston, Mary Robb, Georgina and Jane Mathieson. My mother was said Mary Robb Walker born 1908. They then moved to Warriston Crescent, Glasgow, where James Walker died on the 7th of April 1941.

I've just given you a brief summary, if you would like any more details on any of this, please let me know.

Cath.

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 09 January 16 15:21 GMT (UK) »
cath I can help you also my grandfather is William robb walker your grandfathers brother
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline Dark Island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 09 January 16 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cath,

I gave you the wrong James! All I have on your James is:
"James b. 27 July 1883 when his father, George was designed as a “flesher”. By 1891 census he & his family were at 4 Nicholson Place & by 1901 census James was said to be an apprentice gardener. 1911 census has him as a recovering soldier in a local lunatic asylum! He m. Mary Mathieson & d.7April 1941 aged 57 at Warrinston Crescent, Glasgow".

If you send me your email address I'll give you what I have on the rest of the family! You've got a bit of reading to do! I'm in Edinburgh, a grandson of Mary Walker...sister of your above James.

Dark Island

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 14:16 GMT (UK) »
  hi Cath
did you get my book and pictures of my grandfather William.
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline Cath.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes thank you so much. Great pictures! I'm in the middle of reading it along with dark island's. My granddaughter has been working shifts the last few days, but will get back to you and send photos at the weekend.

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 20:37 GMT (UK) »
so glad you got them we told you a lot of reading cant wait for the weekend and the pictures any questions just ask us
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline Cath.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dark Island and Rainne

Finally got the chance to send the info as promised. Sorry it took so long!

Cath.