Author Topic: 1836 marriage in Longtower RC Church  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Mcreith24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1836 marriage in Longtower RC Church
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Mcreith

I am not sure if it is the same Patrick, but wondering whether the following 'Patrick' is the one you are looking for?  I thought he was abandoned by James to an orphanage, which was another reason I was curious to find out the relationships of the 'mgragths' in the Scotland 1841 census:

NAME:   Patk Mcgrath
ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR:   abt 1841
RELATIONSHIP:   Inmate
WHERE BORN:   Glasgow, lanarksh
PARISH NUMBER:   644/1
CIVIL PARISH:   Glasgow St John
COUNTY:   Lanarkshire
ED:   Catholic Orphan Institution
PAGE:   4
HOUSEHOLD SCHEDULE NUMBER:   1
LINE:   15
ROLL:   CSSCT1851_161

I was hoping 'your' Edward was the same one who married Isabella Mackey (from Durham) who got married in Ireland in 1846 and eventually moved to Liverpool with their son (Peter, my gg grandfather) born in Derry (Longtower) Andrew, James, Patrick, John, Edward sometime between 1865 and 1870?

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
Mcreith,
As per my response to you earlier toaday via Ancestry, Edward McGrath who married Isabella Mackey is the same man that I identified as James's brother.
I know he was married to Isabella Mackey but I could not locate any definitive marriage.
Some trees say the marriage took place on Co Tyrone. I checked that one and it's not them!
The marriage was for a woman named Isabella Mackie but she did not marry Edward McGrath

I did however find a few of their children's baptisms in Derry, but without a marriage, showing a father's name and occupation, I could not say for certain that James and Edward were brothers.

Where did the 1846 Mcgrath/Mackey marriage take place?

Anne

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention the child named Patrick McGrath found in the Catholic Orphange at 1851.

I have seen this but I think I can discount it.
Father, James McGrath was a fairly wealthy man, and I can see no reason that this family would abandon a  male child in an orphanage whilst raising their 2 daughters in Derry.