Author Topic: HOWSON, Teresa baptismal record - Buckland  (Read 2961 times)

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOWSON, Teresa baptismal record - Buckland
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
I am researching a Teresa Howson who married a James Ward in 6 Dec 1819 in Bampton.  Her residence is given as Buckland.

On the 1841 Census her birthdate is 1806, which must be incorrect, so possibly she was born 1790 - 1801?.  Her first husband died and she remarried Henry Townsend in 1845 in Buckland and her father's name is listed as William Howson on her marriage certificate.

There is a possibility that the family was Roman Catholic.  I would like to know her date of birth and parents names. 

Thanks.

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: HOWSON, Teresa baptismal record - Buckland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have her on the census in 1851. 

In 1841 for persons 15 and over the age was rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

No info for her baptism in Bampton, but were you aware that her husband (James Ward) in 1819 was a widower, otp. Theresa is listed as from Buckland, Berks and wits were;
Jane Howson, Philip Cox

I couldn't see her baptism in the Buckland transcripts but did notice this marriage;

22-8-1821 John Pinnock (x)  of Tubney, Berks
                 Jane Howson,
wits; William Pullen, Robt. Carter.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan.  The information you provided is very interesting. 

My direct ancestor is George Howson born abt 1790-1796 who married Jane Lay at Abingdon in 1816.  I've been trying to find his parents and any siblings and I thought Teresa may be a sister.

George and Jane emigrated to Belleville, Ontario Canada about 1832.  There was a Cox family:  Phillip Cox and Mary Ward who came from Buckland and lived in the same area of Belleville at about the same time period.  The families were sponsors for baptisms and witness to weddings.  I've been trying to connect the families.  I did know that James Ward was married before and it is his daughter Mary Ward that married Phillip Cox.

I have found a William Howson (Teresa Howson) father married Catherine Abraham b 1756).  Her sister Ann Abraham(b 1767) married Phillip Cox senior.

So I feel the families must be connected, but not sure how to prove it.

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 August 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
Rosie 99:  Thanks for the tip, but she died in 1850, before the 1851 census came out.  So, I'm out of luck for both her age and place of birth.

Alan:  Do you know if there are separate Roman Catholic parish registers for Buckland?  Another researcher indicated there was a chapel in Buckland on the Throckmorton estate.

JJJ2

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 August 14 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi JJJ2,

I have no knowledge of a  Catholic  church in or near Buckland.

If you contact the Oxford History Centre they might be able to help more;
https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/public-site/oxfordshire-history-centre
or
the Oxfordshire Family History Society they may be able to to give some guidance;
http://www.ofhs.org.uk

You may already have these details but will post incase they are needed;

Bampton;
marriage;
3-4-1809 James Ward to Jane Skinner, botp
wits; William Ward, Richard Clarke

Burials;
1-12-1857 James Ward (aged 77)  (this ties in nicely to the bapt. date of James in 1790 - your other thread)
Abingdon St. Helens;
marriage;
20-10-1816 George Howson - to Jane Lay  (no other fdetails given)

Bampton
Marriage;
14-2-1822 Philip Cox, sojourner, Buckland, Berks
                  Mary Ward (x), otp
wits; John Fox, Mary Cox

Bapts;
?-?1800 Mary Ward d/o James & Maria of Aston (this entry appears between Mar & April 1800)
18-3-1804   "    "       "         "           "            "

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 August 14 18:20 BST (UK) »

Once again Alan, thank you.

Here is the info I found on Buckland and the Roman Catholic church:

Buckland, cum Carswell (St. Mary)

BUCKLAND, cum Carswell (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Farringdon, hundred of Ganfield, county of Berks, 3¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Farringdon; containing 946 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Oxford to Bath, and bounded on the north by the navigable river Isis, on the banks of which a wharf has been constructed. Some quarries of good buildingstone are extensively wrought; and a pleasure-fair is held in August. Buckland House, the seat of Sir J. Throckmorton, Bart., was erected in 1757, and is pleasantly situated. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 4. 7.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol: the great tithes have been commuted for £863. 10., and the vicarial for £275. 8.; the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church, a neat edifice, contains a monument to a Duke of Somerset, who was interred here. There is a place of worship for Baptists, and a Roman Catholic chapel is attached to Buckland House.

It is from British History on-line:  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50840

I'm not sure about the James Ward info as I think he died before 1841 census as Teresa Ward is listed as head of household and she remarried in 1845 and died in 1850.  But the rest I will follow up as well as contacting the Oxfordshire History Society.

JJJ2

Offline ERWard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 15 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi JJJ2,
I have done some research on the family of James Ward and Theresa Howson.

James Ward b. 1771 Aston near Bampton, son of James Ward and Jane Smallbones
Wife #1 Maria (not completely sure of last name but I think Willoughby)
James and Maria had the following children baptized in Bampton:
Mary 1800, John 1802, Mary 1804, Maria 1806, James 1808, Jane 1810, and George 1814 [edited because his baptism was 1814 not 1813]

Wife #2 Theresa Howson
James and Theresa had the following children baptized in the Roman Catholic Chapel in Buckland, Berkshire:
Philip Joseph, baptized 17 Sep 1820, Sponsors: Phil and Mary Cox
Jane, baptized 04 Aug 1822, Sponsor: Anna Pinnock
Elizabeth, 24 Oct 1824, Sponsor: Lucy Serivens
Job, baptized 08 Apr 1827, Sponsors: J. Hutchinson, Esther Howson
Alfred, born 17 Jan 1829, baptized 03 May 1829, Sponsor: Esther Howson
John, born 1831, baptized 06 Jan 1832
David, born 20 Mar 1835 Cote, baptized 26 Apr 1835, Sponsor: James Lapworth
Jane, born 11 Nov 1838 in Cote, baptized 17 Jan 1839, Sponsor: Anna Pinnock
James Ward Sr. died 17 Dec 1840 in the Village of Cote per his death certificate.

Since James Ward's children from his first wife were not in the Catholic registers I had assumed it was Theresa Howson who was Catholic. There is a strong possibility you might find your HOWSON family members in the RC records from Buckland. A copy of these registers can be found at the following places:
-Berkshire Record Office, go to their website at berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk and look under the non-parochial register guide. If you cannot travel there, they can search the records for you through their record searching service for £12 per half hour. This is what I did and they were very helpful.
-The Catholic National Library in London (which says on the website that the library is closed right now).
-The Society of Genealogists in London: BUCKLAND (Roman Catholic) : C 1753-67, 1777, 1788-1845, M 1831-55, 1921 : Berkshire parish registers [Typescript.], Item #30231, Call no. BK/R 56, Location: Berkshire shelves.

I hope this is helpful and good luck in your search!
Sincerely,
ER Ward

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi ER Ward:

Thank you so much for this information.  I did find Teresa Howson in the Buckland RC records.  The page states bap Sep. 1797.  No parents are listed but Witnesses are Wm. Abraham and Win. Abraham who I believe are her uncle and aunt. 

The Oxford Family History Society had just photographed the records and were able to give me the info.  The only Howsons in the parish appeared to be William Howson who married Catherine Abraham at Buckland 26 December 1786, so they appear to be her parents.  It appears that the Abraham family were RC because other Howson were not.

My direct line is George Howson, who is Teresa's brother and his wife Jane Lay.

I did not have the all the  names of Teresa and James Ward's children, so thank you for that.  Also the sponsors names are familiar - Pinnock and Cox are related as well as Ester Howson who I believe is a sister.

George Howson and his wife came to Canada about 1832 as well as the Phillip Cox family and settled in the Belleville area of Ontario.

Once again thank you and I will follow up on this new information.

JJJ2