Author Topic: Maude Memorial Hospital Basra Iraq  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Maude Memorial Hospital Basra Iraq
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I have an ancestor Edward Herbert Mackavoy born 1889 in Plumstead Kent who died 17 April 1943 at Maude Memorial Hospital, Basra, Iraq.
Prior to the war he was a merchant and sailed on the P&O Ships Corfu & Kaisar Hind to Yokohama, Kobe, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Penang, Cochin, Bombay, Aden, Port Sudan, Port Said, Malta, Marseilles, Gibraltar & Tangier, arriving home on 19 May 1939. He sailed on many other occasions all over the world before that. Presumably he was in the forces during the war and that is why he died in Iraq? Was there a military campaign there or did he die in his capacity as a merchant perhaps?
Maybe you could throw some light on this for me. I have not been able to find anything about this hospital.
I would be very grateful for any info.
Regards from Quester

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Maude Memorial Hospital Basra Iraq
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
HI,,As his death reference is listed in the GRO Consular Death Indices (1849 to 1965)..I would say he was not in the military,,,but possibly working in a government role ?  His surname is listed as Mackavey.

MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy,
 Thank you for your quick response, It is very interesting. I had not considered that he might have worked for the government. He must have been trading something perhaps?
Regards Quester

Offline Ghanim Alsheikh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 16 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Quester, Maude Memorial Hospital is still operating in Basra City, Iraq. However, its name has been changed to "Basra Jumhoory Hospital" since 1958 and again to "Basra General AlJumhory Hospital" since 2003. I have worked for many years there in the 1970s as a doctor. The more feasible option for you is to search for a burial record for the "British or may be English Cemetery" in Basra which I recall was in the nearby of the hospital and I am sure it is still there. Most probably an English man passing away in the hospital will be buried there as Iraq was under British protection during the WWII with military presence. the other option is to seek support from British embassy in Baghdad and British Consulate in Basra if the case seems relevant. See map below. Good luck. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Basra+General+Hospital/@30.4929753,47.8063134,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x428509b14379ea19!8m2!3d30.4929753!4d47.8063134     

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 16 07:30 GMT (UK) »
If you have a look at a world map  you will see that Basra is a port on what used to be called the Persian Gulf.           There was a main supply route through Iraq towards Russia.  Also  there was the oil production needed by the Allies.

My father  was on a convoy  which departed from Halifax, Nova Scotia  in November 1941   with the British 18th Division.  I believe from my research that their original destination was Basra, as reinforcements for  the Middle East.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 November 16 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ghanim Alsheikh & ScouseBoy,
Thank you both for such interesting information. It has certainly given me some new leads and I shall follow up your advice.
Many, many thanks from Quester

Offline Ghanim Alsheikh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Quester,
I am glad that found my response useful in your search. The “English cemetery” in Basra is located in Al Hakeemiya sector of the city not far away from Shat-al-Arab Waterway and the Basra port (see link below for map.) The cemetery was established in 1914 upon the entry of the British army to Basra and Iraq and since all British soldiers and civilians have been buried there. During the last presence of the British army in Basra (2003-2009), the cemetery was the place of burial of the British soldiers. However, the British authorities in Iraq (Embassy and Consulate) used the cemetery as a temporary burial place till all were moved back home to UK for permanent burial. I attach two photos showing the divisions of the area of the cemetery to accommodate different graveyards. Good luck.
Map for the cemetery in Basra: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Basrah,+Iraq/@30.5319795,47.8183914,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3fc49771852a1535:0xb8d22927274bd410!8m2!3d30.5081033!4d47.7834888

Offline Quester

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ghanim Alsheikh,
 Thank you very much :) You have taken so much trouble and I am really grateful. It is amazing how much you have found out for me. I have plenty to follow up now - that should keep me busy for a while!
Regards from Quester

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 16 18:11 GMT (UK) »
A contemporary drawing of the hospital is provided at Fig.6 here:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13602365.2016.1179662

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)