Author Topic: Pictures from 1850's bible - Logan's - Can you help?  (Read 18824 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from 1850's bible - Logan's - Can you help?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 01 March 15 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Cah, or Caw, is a townland in Errigal Parish. John Arthur appears there at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in other records.
http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=2084
If you click on the link you'll see a map on this page- http://www.logainm.ie/en/57651 - but it shows Cah as south of Garvagh which is incorrect. Cah is roughly about 3 or 4 miles from St. Guaire's by modern roads but there would have been shortcuts taken in the days when people walked to church.
This map does show the townland- just keep zooming in- http://www.placenamesni.org/map.php

"Is there documentation of this, or is this info just from ancestry?"
If you mean the website Ancestry then the answer is no- very little Irish information there. As I said earlier "I've been researching the Arthurs and McMasters for over 20 years using the originals of the church records, original documents and family documents & information (from both here and in Canada)."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 01 March 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Cah, or Caw, is a townland in Errigal Parish. John Arthur appears there at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in other records.
http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=2084
If you click on the link you'll see a map on this page- http://www.logainm.ie/en/57651 - but it shows Cah as south of Garvagh which is incorrect. Cah is roughly about 3 or 4 miles from St. Guaire's by modern roads but there would have been shortcuts taken in the days when people walked to church.
This map does show the townland- just keep zooming in- http://www.placenamesni.org/map.php

If you mean the website Ancestry then the answer is no- very little Irish information there. As I said earlier "I've been researching the Arthurs and McMasters for over 20 years using the originals of the church records, original documents and family documents & information (from both here and in Canada)."

Thanks for all the info Aghadowey!

How would John Arthur be related to you ?

As of right now the John Arthur ends at John and his wife? There is nothing currently out there for us to find with John or his his wife's parents names on it?

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 09 March 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hey Aghadowy - how would John Arthur be related to you?

Offline Bannerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 09 March 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Aaron

Call me old fashioned but I would like to politely point to the fact that there is a certain decorum associated with posts to a forum such as this.

The site could not exist without the contribution of a significant number of individuals who continuously and unselfishly give personal time and effort to search public and private resources to answer the questions of those researching their family history.

A little bit of respect goes a long way. Starting a post with "Hey" doesn't really tick that box.

But then that seems to have gone over your head some time ago.

Derry / Londonderry - McCready, McGruddy, Carlin, McShane, Wilson, Cleary, Crockett
Castlederg - Baxter, Wilson
Inishowen - Callaghan, Duffy, Blieu, Grant, Coyle
Delta County, MI, USA - Cleary
Boston - Ballou
Nova Scotia - Ballou

"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 09 March 15 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Aaron

Call me old fashioned but I would like to politely point to the fact that there is a certain decorum associated with posts to a forum such as this.

The site could not exist without the contribution of a significant number of individuals who continuously and unselfishly give personal time and effort to search public and private resources to answer the questions of those researching their family history.

A little bit of respect goes a long way. Starting a post with "Hey" doesn't really tick that box.

But then that seems to have gone over your head some time ago.

Banner man - call my new fashioned but I'm going to politely ask you to blow me.

I don't see where I did anything wrong, I know Aghadowy puts in a ton of work on this site. We share a common ancestor so the info that he is sharing is probably off the top of his head. I have said thank you to Aghadowy for all of the help. I asked him a question and thought that maybe he missed the notification for it, so I sent another one just saying "Hey Aghadowey....." How do you greet people? How do you know what my tone is over the internet? I meant nothing bad by it, I honestly I thought he missed the notification, so I asked again.

Maybe you should mind your own business and if Aghadowy didn't like something I said, or didn't want to tell me how he is related to John Arthur, that's fine, he's a big boy and is capable of telling me himself and I would respect that.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 08:21 GMT (UK) »
You may not have meant to sound rude but what I certainly do find very offensive is other remarks you've made in regard to my research and my resources, such as-

"We share a common ancestor so the info that he is sharing is probably off the top of his head."

You do not need to quote previous posts in each reply. However, here's one I did earlier which you seem to be overlooking-
... As I said earlier "I've been researching the Arthurs and McMasters for over 20 years using the originals of the church records, original documents and family documents & information (from both here and in Canada)."

At this point I do not wish to explain my connection to the Arthurs and will not be posting further details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 19 March 15 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey -

Sorry, I do not know the etiquette of online forum posting, and for asking if your info came from Ancestry. Most of the time I post from my cell phone and I have the memory of a fish.

But I do know Bannerman had no right to post in my thread. Like I said if you had a problem, you're a man, you can tell me.

Anyway, I was very thankful for all of the help.

I have many pictures of the Arthur's I will post a few.

The 1st is just of Thomas Arthur
The 2nd one is Thomas Arthur and his wife Elizabeth (Lizzie) Henry (I found out the photographer H. Eggman was in business in Norwich from 1887-1909).
The 3rd is of Lizzie Arthur (Henry)
The 4th is of the Arthur homestead in Norfolk County, saying the homestead was established by Thomas and Elizabeth Arthur in 1889.

Last summer I went and met with Isabel Arthur who lives in this home now, she is in her 90's. Thomas and Lizzie are Isabel's grandparents (there is a long storey behind this though).

Thomas Arthur is my 2nd Great Grand Uncle.

Hope you enjoy the pictures, thanks again for your help.

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 19 March 15 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and Lizzie

Offline Aaronl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 19 March 15 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie