Author Topic: Benjamin Furlong - murder mystery  (Read 6248 times)

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Benjamin Furlong - murder mystery
« on: Sunday 10 August 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone has access to newspapers from the Reading area for 1918. Benjamin Furlong, born in Cosheston, Pembs., was working as a baker (possibly for the Army Service Corps) in the Reading area when he was murdered and ended up in the river, where he drowned. Ben had been living in Nebraska, but returned to England.
If anyone can help, I'd very much appreciate it.

Andy
Furlong, Bunyan

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Furlong - murder mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 August 14 08:49 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at British Newspaper Archive, but it seems the coverage of the Berkshire Chronicle and Reading Mercury only go up to 1899 and Oxford Times to 1909. I'm having a similar problem finding any more details of a relative of mine who was also drowned, but in Wallingford in 1914. Family tales also said it was murder.

Probably you would have to contact one of the local papers (or their successors) directly. Presumably you have a copy of the death cert to give exact date and place of death. Berks burial index has his residence as Jackman's Hotel, West Street Reading and burial date as 29 July 1918. 

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 August 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
LizzieL,

Thank you very much for the information. Knowing where he was staying is very helpful.

Much appreciated!

Andy
Furlong, Bunyan

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 August 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
He seems to have gone back and forward to USA a couple of times. He has two listings on the Ellis Island site (one as Benjamin Fuslong). In both, it is recorded that he has lost his left leg below the knee.
His first arrival was May 22 1910 and second was March 2 1914. In both cases he was going to join Thomas Busby in Wakefield Nebraska. On the earlier record Thomas is described as brother in law and on the later one he is described as a friend. The later record says he was previously in US from 1909 to 1913 (or previously entered in 1909 and 1913), which doesn't quite match with a 1910 arrival.
UK incoming passenger lists on Ancestry has his (presumably final) arrival in Liverpool (coming from New York) on 16 Jan 1918, his address in England is given as 20 Beecham Road Reading, and his occupation is Baker.
There is an earlier arrival from New York to Liverpool for a Benjamin Furlong also a baker on 10 Feb 1910, no age or place of birth given, so not certain if is the same one, but has same occupation.
He doesn't seem to be on either 1911 UK census or 1910 US census.

I can't find any trace of an Army record for him. If he is the right one, who has lost part of a leg, I wouldn't expect he would be considered fit for military service.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, he went to the US several times. He was said to be working for the British Government. Rumour has it that on one of his visits, he signed up to the military in Chicago, but I'm not sure when.

He was a baker, and it is presumed (by me) that he was working for the Army 'Field Services', which would explain how he signed up, despite his amputated lower leg. BTW, he lost his leg below the knee at age 10. Maybe something to do with him being in the Workhouse in Pembroke. Who knows?

I'm now looking for any reference to the hotel on West Street, Reading. Disturbingly, I found a record for a murder there in 1914. :(
Furlong, Bunyan

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
1903 Kelly's directory has an R Jackman keeping a Temperance hotel at 32 and 33 West Street, Reading. I thought consecutive numbers was a bit unusual, usually 32 and 33 would be on opposite sides of the road. But checked Google street map and West street is numbered up one side and back down the other. Unfortunately where 32 and 33 would have been is a large modern block numbered 32 - 41 and occupied by a chain store.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
also looked up 20 Beecham road on Googe SM. Small terraced house (2 up 2 down), looks like late Victorian.

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
Warning: I'm going to be saying 'Thanks!' quite often.  :)
Furlong, Bunyan

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 August 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
You're welcome!
The R stands for Robert and he features on 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses. He has 6 staff listed in 1901 (presumably living in, not just there on census night) as well as himself and his wife. There are 7 boarders and 2 visitors. Maybe a distinction because of length of stay. More staff than guests in 1911, maybe not doing so well.