Author Topic: Benjamin Furlong - murder mystery  (Read 6247 times)

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Furlong - murder mystery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info.

I had assumed (as one does with genealogy searching) that Benjamin was found in the Thames, but it might, more plausibly, have been the Kennet.
Furlong, Bunyan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 August 14 16:25 BST (UK) »
The National Archive has a reference to Robert Jackman retired hotel keeper of Reading, died 1923, probate 1924. I think it a solicitors record. And Ancestry has probate calender for 1924, Robert Jackman of 12 Talfourd avenue, Reading died 30 Nov 1923, probate granted 22 May 1934. It doesn't mention occupation but dates fit. So presumably retired and gave up the hotel, but stayed in Reading. He left quite a large sum of money, so the hotel must have done well after all.

The Kennet is closer to the hotel and straight down West street, St Marys Butts and Bridge Street, the railway line is between West Street and the Thames, so he would have to detour one side or the other of the station.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing it would be essential to establish the route which he most regularly journeyed to work. I'm not sure where the Army Service Corps bakery would have been.
Furlong, Bunyan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Most ASC bakery units were field units so would have been out in France, but I have seen a reference to a Home front one somewhere near Brighton.

Could he have been a civilian baker but engaged on baking biscuits for the army? On Huntley and Palmer's website they have a bit about the company history and they baked biscuits for the army during both wars. They also made artillery shell cases!
If so the factory was in Kings road on the bit of land by the Kennet, so his journey from his lodgings would take him close to the Kennet
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
You know, that sounds more plausible. And, coincidentally, I was just looking at the H&P website for info. But you've given the info I was looking for; the address.

I saw they have a museum. Maybe that's a place to try. I saw a video online, of someone tracing their ancestors. The researcher took them to H&P's factory and showed them employee records. So, that should help.
Furlong, Bunyan

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
Here's what I now know:

Benjamin Furlong was working as a baker for A. C. Bond (Baker) at 18 West Street, Reading. He'd worked there since January 1917. "He had left his situation on July 10th" and not seen for a little while after. Mr. Frank R. Rivers discovered his body by East's Boathouse with the throat cut. The police surgeon suggested it could have been self inflicted. An open verdict was returned.

A sad end!
Furlong, Bunyan