Author Topic: 14th great grandfather......  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
Re: 14th great grandfather......
« Reply #36 on: Friday 22 August 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Redroger & jbml,

you should be proud. You have got a rich and exciting tree - compared to nobility: One boring chamberlain after another and the earls are numbered ...

Rather critical are the inbreeding trees of the higher nobility:
Ludwig II. of Bavaria had 14 ancestors, where we have 128, a poor man - or:

Ferdinand I of Austria "the Good" > "Gütinand der Fertige" (Goodinand the Finished):
 ... epilepsy, hydrocephalus, neurological problems, and a speech impediment.

The Prince of Wales has more than 1,7 million lines to Charlemagne in his tree, but he has ministers from Palatinate as ancestors and very close relatives, who took part in the Polish and German uprisings of 1830 and 1849!

Regards
Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 23 August 14 08:49 BST (UK) »
Yes ... and there are some really moving stories in there, too. Like my great great grandmother Emily Cass Stephenson (nee Holcomb). She was born in the East End of London in 1860. Her father died when she was 7. Her mother went into service in a village just outside Newmarket (where she had grown up) and Emily and her sister were sent to live with their grandparents (one with each pair).

Emily went to live with Ambrose and Sarah Frost at the Swan Inn in Exning. Her grandfather Ambrose died when she was 9, and her grandmother Sarah when she was 15. She then joined her sister living with her other grandparents, Anthony and Martha Holcomb, in Chippenham (not the one in Wiltshire, but another village to the North of Newmarket). Two years later, Martha Holcomb died too (Anthony, however, was to live for another 30 years, and didn't die until he was 98 and a great great grandfather!!)

In 1883 Emily became pregnant to Charles James Christopher Stephenson, the son of a Newmarket baker. She went to London and became a barmaid at an inn in Camberwell, and it is here that her daughter Myrah Cass Stephenson Holcomb was born. She then married Myrah's father (in Hendon, for some reason ... still a bit of detective work to do to figure out why) and they returned to the Newmarket area, taking a pub in a village South of Newmarket where they were licensed victuallers and bakers (each, no doubt, contributing their own particular expertise to the venture). The young Myrah Cass Stephenson Holcomb simply dropped the "Holcomb" family name after her parents were married. If asked, her parents could truthfully say that she had ALWAYS been called Myrah Cass Stephenson (the truth and nothing but the truth ... just not the whole truth) thereby concealing the illegitimacy (and also, I should say, making it a devil of a job to piece this one together: in both of her childhood censuses Myrah is somewhere other than with her parents, and is listed as May not Myrah. They don't always make it easy for us, do they?)

Myrah in due course married my great grandfather Frank Whitney Hardwick, and in due course my own mother was named Myra (but without the ~h) after her grandmother.

I really feel for my great great grandma Emily. I think she had a tough time. But I also sense ... although I cannot really explain why ... that for all that, she was happy in life!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 25 August 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
You rightly talk of inbreeding; whilst I cannot (fortunately) compare with royalty or aristocracy on this issue I am well aware of the effects of inbreeding in many country villages in the 19th century and earlier. On my mother's side I am my own 4th cousin!! This due to the oldest son of a family member in the 18th century marrying the youngest sister of his father!! Quite illegal in English and Canon Law; but it happened and happened frequently. It does account for some marriages happening away from the home village. In other cases the local clergy don't seem to have bothered that much.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 August 14 15:41 BST (UK) »
One grannie & one eyebrow?   ;D

Skoosh.