Author Topic: ANOTHER Find My Past £1 for 1 month subscription offer  (Read 13802 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ANOTHER Find My Past £1 for 1 month subscription offer
« on: Tuesday 12 August 14 01:28 BST (UK) »
Through the Lost Cousins Newsletter I have just read about yet another Find My Past £1 for one month subscription offer.

The link on the newsletter does not work for me, so I've been searching for another way to take advantage of this. I found one but when I clicked on the [claim the £1 subscription button] I was just taken to a the usual £9.95 subscription page.

There is no mention that this offer is only for new subscribers, or that those who have previously taken up a £1 offer (which I did) cannot take up this second offer.

I tried logging into my account but there is no mention of the £1 subscription.

Has anyone who took advantage of the previous £1 offer managed to take up this new subscription as well?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: ANOTHER Find My Past £1 for 1 month subscription offer!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
My husband subscribes to The Times and they have an ongoing offer of a year's FREE sub to FindMyPast.  I had to sign in with his e-mail address and password to get the code, but when I then clicked on the link through to FindMyPast it recognized me with "Welcome Elizabeth" on the home page.  However, it still accepted the code and I now have a sub through to 9 August 2015. My account now shows I have a World sub until 8 October 2014, a British sub through to 9 August 2015 plus 139 credits.  I rarely look up anything outside Britain anyway so a British sub is good enough for me.  I assume if I decided to look up something else (and I've yet to find any non British site on FindMyPast), then I can use up some of the credits.

So if you know anyone who has The Times subscription and they don't want to get an FindMyPast sub, ask them to log on, on your PC, and then do as I did and you should get a year's free sub.

Lizzie

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have just got in & paid a pound. So, hopefully this will now go back up the list & others can benefit.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
My husband subscribes to The Times and they have an ongoing offer of a year's FREE sub to FindMyPast.  I had to sign in with his e-mail address and password to get the code, but when I then clicked on the link through to FindMyPast it recognized me with "Welcome Elizabeth" on the home page.  However, it still accepted the code and I now have a sub through to 9 August 2015. My account now shows I have a World sub until 8 October 2014, a British sub through to 9 August 2015 plus 139 credits.  I rarely look up anything outside Britain anyway so a British sub is good enough for me.  I assume if I decided to look up something else (and I've yet to find any non British site on FindMyPast), then I can use up some of the credits.

So if you know anyone who has The Times subscription and they don't want to get an FindMyPast sub, ask them to log on, on your PC, and then do as I did and you should get a year's free sub.

Lizzie

I have a Times sub, but I can't find this link.   Could you give me a clue how to get there? 

It's ok, should have used my brain!   It's in 'papers' offers.   Bloomin' good offer, I now have FindMyPast until August 2015.  Excellent!     Thanks v much, so pleased. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 12:34 BST (UK) »

Wow. It worked.

I searched online and found a site which gave a link to the discount. The url flicked by quickly but the voucher code was RELATIVES.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

I have subscribed in the past and purchased credits, and used offers for free credits, but have nothing at the moment. I take it that the free year's subscription is for anyone with a current subscription?

Good PR after all the problems with the recent 'improvements' to the site. Possibly the only way they will keep many of their members who had threatened to leave. Who would say no to a year free?  :)

I am in Australia so do not buy the Telegraph oops, I mean the Times. Is there a code required to take up the offer, and does anyone know if you need to have a current sub?

Thanks Sandra - I will see how I get on with that link

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks. I'd not renewed my longstanding subscription to findmypast this year but have taken this one out as we subscribe to The Times.

Good PR after all the problems with the recent 'improvements' to the site. Possibly the only way they will keep many of their members who had threatened to leave. Who would say no to a year free?  :)
Indeed, it's renewed my determination to get to grips with the new search now it won't cost  me anything.

I am in Australia so do not buy the Telegraph. Is there a code required to take up the offer, and does anyone know if you need to have a current sub?
Yes, you need a current sub to The Times, I was provided with a [I believe] unique code. If you are a subscriber, you need to go to
http://www.mytimesplus.co.uk/public/offers/free-findmypast-subscription
which leads you when you click 'redeem' to https://www.thetimesoffers.co.uk/timesplus_codegenerator_findmypast/index.php
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
No, sadly those links are no good for me josey.

First link asks me to join up and become a member of The Times (?).

Your second link gives the following error:

Oops!
We're really sorry, but we have been unable to identify you properly. This is either because you have opened up an old page, used an incorrect link or perhaps you bookmarked the page and are coming back via your bookmark links. Please login to mytimesplus.co.uk and click through from there. If you are a Times+ member and you continue to experience problems, please contact us at the email address below, stating:
ERROR CODE: CHK-RDR2--
ACCOUNT HOLDER NAME:
ACCOUNT HOLDER ADDRESS: 

Not surprising really considering I am in Australia. Never mind.  ::)