Author Topic: I am looking for Mary Park born 1819 possible Scotland.  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Renison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for Mary Park born 1819 possible Scotland.
« on: Friday 15 August 14 13:47 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Mary Park born 1819 possible Scotland, she married a Richard Davis ex convict
in Launcestion Australia 13/2/1843
Renison

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: hoping to find her
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 August 14 14:36 BST (UK) »

Hi Renison,

Do you know what area of Scotland Mary Park was possibly born in as there are several Mary Parks showing on the census's born in different areas.

There is also a Mary Park showing on Ancestry on the Immigration and travel going to New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896. Is this your Mary?
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Renison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 August 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Nettie S I think she was born in CrudenAberdeen Scotland or Fenwick Ayre Scotland
I have marriage certificate being married in Launceston Tasmania age 24 13/2/1843Scotch Church

Appeared to have had 3 children Elizabeth 1843/Arthur/ 82/1845/ Jessie 1/12/1848
Her death was 27/6/1864,have no other details prior to marriage
If she came out by immigrant passenger, how do I find that info?
Cheers renison

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 August 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Renison,

Appeared to have had 3 children Elizabeth 1843/Arthur/ 82/1845/ Jessie 1/12/1848
Cheers renison
The registered children of Richard DAVIS/DAVIES and Mary PARK(E):

Elizabeth Jane DAVIS
Born: 18 Nov 1843
Father: Richard DAVIS
Mother: Mary PARK

Unnamed FEMALE child
Born: 8 Feb 1845

Mary Emma DAVIS
Born: 15 Jul 1846
Mother: Mary PARKE

Jesse Hannah DAVIS
Born: 1 Dec 1848

Richard Alexander DAVIS
Born: 27 Apr 1850

The birth register clearly states that the child born in 1845 was a female, and I assume that 'Jesse' should be 'Jessie' as this is also stated to be a female child.

I cannot see a child named Arthur.

Her death was 27/6/1864
Cheers renison

It was Richard who died on 27 June 1864, not Mary.

Davis - June 27th, Richard Davis, formerly Chief District Constable of Launceston, aged 53 years.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8827494

On the 27th instant, Richard Davis, formerly Chief District Constable of Launceston, aged 53 years. The funeral will leave his late residence, St. George's Square, on Tuesday (this day), at quarter-past two o'clock. Friends are Invited.— WM. HILLS, Undertaker.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38653480

I think she was born in CrudenAberdeen Scotland or Fenwick Ayre Scotland
Cheers renison

Can you tell us where you found this?  What do you know about the children's later lives?

Debra  :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 August 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
birth and baptism for Mary Park b 1819 Cruden ,Aberdeenshire
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBQG-BZQ

parents marriage

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTNF-9M5

siblings of Mary Park
Isabel Park  b 31st  march 1817 - baptism 13th April 1817 Cruden ...James Park / Mary Lendrum
Margaret Park b 4th October 1821- bap 19th oct 1821 at Slains , ...James Park / Mary Lendrum
John Park b 1st July 1824 - bap 18th  July 1824  Cruden ....James / Mary Lendrum

can I just point out - you stated"  I have marriage certificate being married in Launceston Tasmania age 24 13/2/1843 Scotch Church"
on13 feb 1843 ...the Cruden Mary Park would have been 23 in the October before the marriage

Mary Park b 1819 Fenwick, Ayr ,Ayrshire ...was born even later - in Nov 1819
parents David Park and Jean McKenzie
other children to David and Jean in Fenwick
1811 9th April - Alexander Park
1813 14th May - David Park
1816 16th May - Jean Park

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTVN-L45      ...Mary Park
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Renison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 August 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
Dundee  thanks for your research,everyone on roots chat seem so kind taking time to reply
Sorry my mistake re Marys death yes was 1862 .Interesting you found further children,sometime back I researched Launcestion newspaper Cornwall Chronicle 1835 1850 and found Arthur who I thought was a sibling? As far as Mary Park being the one from Cruden was only a stab in the dark no proof
Need to find how she got to Australia and married ex convict
This family would go back to my great great grandparents Cheers Renison

Offline Renison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 August 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Garstonite Many thanks for your response and time to help me,yes I have marriage certificate so date is correct Maybe the Mary Park from Fenwich Ayr is the one connected, I have not been able to find her with proof. Where else can we look? Richard and Mary families stayed in Tasmania
Cheers Renison

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 August 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Mary DAVIS in Launceston in 1862, however the death register records this woman as a SPINSTER.  I would also expect to see a death notice for her as she would have been a well known long term resident of Launceston.  Have you checked to see if there are any burial records which might find her and Richard buried together?

I was hoping that she died on the mainland as the death records are more informative than those in Tasmania.

No mention of family when Richard died, nor when he left the police to go to Victoria in 1852.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/65580128

To Mr. Richard Davis, late Chief Constable of Launceston.
DEAR SIR,
We, the undersigned inhabitants of Launceston, having been apprised of your contemplated departure for Port Phillip, beg to present you with a purse, containing 100 sovereigns, as a token of our appreciation of your worth - both as a private individual and a public servant......
This is followed by Richard's reply.

He departed Tas. the following week, no family with him:

Davis, Richard
Steerage
Ship: Swift
9 Sep 1852
Launceston to Melbourne
Ship to colony: Stakesby
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=2

Perhaps he had gold fever like everyone else and was going off to try his luck, but I can't help feeling that something is not quite right here.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 August 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
A story about daughter Jessie:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/149515215

A Lucky Shot — A paragraph under this heading appeared in our issue of Tuesday, which we re-publish, as the Madame Lemaire referred to is not a native of Cochin China, but of Launceston, Tasmania.......Paul Lemaire was on leave of absence and visited the Australian colonies. Being a French Consul-General at Shanghai, he was officially introduced to the Duke of Edinburgh at Sydney. During the festivities he was also introduced to Miss Jessie Davis, youngest daughter of Mr Richard Davis, who up to about the year 1856 had been for many years Chief District Constable of Launceston. The young lady was remarkably handsome, and M. Lemaire married her. The ceremony was performed by the then Bishop of Sydney with some official pomp. M. Lemaire subsequently visited this colony with his young bride, and they proceeded to Paris where they were re-married in the presence of members of his family........Madame Lemaire still corresponds with her sisters, one of whom is a married lady resident in Brisbane-street, Launceston.

While a marriage did take place in Sydney, I suspect that the rest of the story might be nonsense.  The French Consul in China was a man named Victor Gabriel LEMAIRE, and I haven't been able to find any newspaper mention of the 1869 marriage.

You would need to get a transcription of the marriage entry to find out who he really was and if it was definitely your Jessie (the middle initial is not correct).

Paul C T LEMAIRE
Jessie J DAVIS

Registration District:    Sydney, New South Wales
Registration Year: 1869
# 624

Is Elizabeth your ancestor?  Who did she marry?