Author Topic: Alec James Hudd Wiltshire Yeomanry and RAF  (Read 931 times)

Offline joehudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alec James Hudd Wiltshire Yeomanry and RAF
« on: Friday 15 August 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could help with how to find out about the regiments and if there were war diaries kept. Here is the information i have already:

He served in the Great War, during what is known as the Spring Offensive or Kaiserschlact (Kaisers Battle) which was the series of German attacks along the Western Front, beginning on the 21st of March 1918. He was a corporal in the 4th Squadron and 1st Battalion of the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry. He transferred to the Royal Flying Corps which on the 1st of April 1918 became the Royal Air Force. His time in the war ended after a mustard gas attack. He spent his last days being treated for lobar pneumonia at Number 9 Casualty Clearing Station at St Omer. He died on the Tuesday of the 14th of May 1918 at the age of 26. He left behind his family living in Hilperton Marsh and also his wife Georgiette Margeritte Hudd (nee Young). They lived in Norbury in London. Alec’s name can be seen at Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery in France and also on memorials in St Michaels and All Angels Church in Hilperton Saint Mary’s Chapel in Hilperton Marsh which was originally located at Saint Pauls Church in Staverton before its closure.

Any help or clues would be greatfully appreciated
researching the wiltshire area for these names
hudd- Hilperton Marsh, Trowbridge.
hillier- Trowbridge, Westwood
gore- Broughton Gifford, Trowbridge
ashford- Trowbridge, Witham Friary Somerset
applegate- Trowbridge
godwin- Westwood, Trowbridge
hiscock- Hilperton Marsh
Pearce- Hilperton Marsh

Researching in Kent and East Sussex
Pettitt
Jeffery
Pearson
Humphrey

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alec James Hudd Wiltshire Yeomanry and RAF
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 August 14 22:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.1914-1918.net/rwilts.htm

Heres a good place to start :)

theres a medal index card for an Alexander Hudd Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and Corps of Hussars on Ancestry his number is 930? AND HIS 320*** number
930 number puts enlistment around Sept 1914

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline YeomanryDoc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alec James Hudd Wiltshire Yeomanry and RAF
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have just completed a new history of the RWY (Primus in Armis)which is with my publisher and I hope will appear in hardback in 2020.
I am keen to continue my research and writing and was interested to see your post. Do you have any relevant images ? I was RMO for 22 years.
Wiltshire Life Jan 2020 has a new brief article on the RWY.