Author Topic: Glanmor House , Sketty ,Swansea In 1926.Who ownedit ? or what was it ?  (Read 14420 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Alice Elizabeth Wronsky from South Africa was living in Swansea in 1925.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 August 14 22:25 BST (UK) »
If the obit mentions Alice being in a convent in Wales it does not tie in with her being born in 1892 and her mother dying in 1904.  We know she was definitely not in a convent in 1934 so I wonder whether the obit is referring to a completely different Alice
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Alice Elizabeth Wronsky from South Africa was living in Swansea in 1925.
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 August 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
A very good point Carole. I think looking at it so far the young girl Jean died about 1939 and it looks like Alice was caring  for her up to her death ....well maybe. So as an assumption Alice may not have become  a nun until sometime say about 1944 to 1950 !

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 August 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
The Alice on the passenger lists was b 1892.  By 1944 she was in her 50's and my gut feeling is that this is not the same Alice who was in a convent

I think you need to look for a death for Alice b 1892 in SA or England.  She returned to SA as unmarried aged 42 in 1934 so it's not impossible she may have married.  If no death found under her maiden name, you may need to look for a marriage
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 August 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
I think I have missed something here - are you looking for her death?
Is the death as a nun in a convent in Wales?
As I said earlier,I saw a reference to 'the Academy' and a signed photo.
Is it established that the photo is of Alice?
I looked up the academy - is it St Dominic's? Has your lady enquired there?
I only have experience of RC nuns and the name doesn't sound right to me. Most nuns would, at that time, be Sister Mary ..... with a saint's name. Some may take the full name of a saint - first and second. Nowadays a sister could be called by her own name.
None of this seems to apply to Alice. I would think that a death registration of a nun would be in the person's family name.
Apologies for the length of this but I am unsure what you are searching. I just thought you were looking at the various establishments named with regard to her travels.
For example, when she visits a place with Jean, I thought perhaps Jean may be at school and Alice her carer/governess,  rather than a teacher in an establishment.

Heywood

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 August 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
If the obit mentions Alice being in a convent in Wales it does not tie in with her being born in 1892 and her mother dying in 1904.  We know she was definitely not in a convent in 1934 so I wonder whether the obit is referring to a completely different Alice

Again, maybe I am way off track but I thought she may be at school in Wales.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 August 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Carole. I once again wrongly assumed that you had gained access to the obituary.
As I mentioned earlier I  have requested this information from the Lady and I am waiting to see it . But as Heywood rightly put it the comment was that the name of the convent was indecipherable on the obit , so I guess we shall have to wait and see. Anyway thank you for your help. I'm now off out clubbing with a dozen or so friends...so can't stop goodnight

Another query ::)
Was there an obituary for her brother, William Henry Wronsley?

I just found one but it was in a medical journal but only mentions a widow and sons.
There may have been a longer one in a local paper perhaps.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 August 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood

Replies 3 & 4 are the relevant ones.  There is a suggestion that Alice the teacher born 1892 was teaching in Wales then returned to SA in 1934 but sometime from 1934 onwards she became a nun called Sister Benjamin.  She is said to have returned to Wales as a nun in the 1950's.

Apparently the obit for her mother in 1904 mentions the Welsh convent but Alice was only 12yrs old so I can't see how it can refer to Alice b 1892 and wonder if her mother had a sister who was a nun hence the reference in the obit.

I can't find Alice b 1892 on any incoming passenger list after 1934 hence my suggestions re: looking for her death/marriage in SA

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
 First let me say Thank you both for your contributions.
There are two travel mentions 1 in 1937 travel to SA with young Jean.
and again in 1938 as above.
Both mention the address of Milton Abbey,Near Blandford Forum,Dorset.

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:12 BST (UK) »
What Denise the Lady in South Africa originally asked was   for any information regarding Alice.

One second I just got a message I shall paste it

Here it is

Hi Mike,

No. Little Jean was born with Multiple Sclerosis. Her father, William Henry, asked his sister, Alice, to come to SA from Wales to help take care of Jean. Alice devoted herself to the little girl and took care of her until Jean died at the age of 13. Alice was engaged to be married before all this back home in Wales but her fiancé passed away. She remained a spinster all her life.

Jean was born 08 Feb 1926
And died 1939 in South Africa.

The assumption I made that she was a nun is based on the photo I have and the fact that her address was given as the undecipherable name of a convent somewhere in Wales. I would love to know more about her – where she is buried and so on. She studied at Rhodes university in Grahamstown South Africa but have not as yet been able to establish what she studied – teaching, presumably. Her brother was KIA in WW1 as you correctly stated. See attached.

Thank you for all your help.