Author Topic: Staffordshire Travellers  (Read 18874 times)

Offline MeirSoul

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire Travellers
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 24 August 23 22:32 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but some of the surnames listed here have me wondering about one of my ancestors. My 3 x great grandfather was Samuel Blore, sometimes spelt Bloore or Blower. He was born around 1828 in Trentham, Staffordshire. He was married twice, his first wife having died young. The confusing thing though is on his marriage record to his first wife his father is listed as Thomas Johnson but 4 years later, when he remarried, his father is listed as Thomas Bloore. Samuel was listed as Bloore on both documents. I could never figure out why his father would go by two different surnames. After reading this thread (which was very interesting btw!) I'm wondering if maybe his father was part of the Traveller community? My DNA ethnicity estimate came back 11% Eastern European which always confused me too. The only thing that gives me pause is Thomas is recorded as being a Joiner on Samuel's first marriage record and then a Waterman on the second record, neither of which are traditionally associated with the traveller community as far as I know?

What do you guys think?

Blore/Bloor is a name found amongst travellers so quite possibly
Halket- longton Stoke on Trent / Banff Scotland
Cooke - Meir/Longton Stoke on Trent
Emery- Meir/ Longton Stoke-on-Trent
Shaw - Birmingham
Leese - Longton/ Fenton/Stoke-on-Trent
Neild/Nield/Neeld/Neald- Uttoxeter/ Abbots bromley
Hodgkinson/Hodgkins - Uttoxeter/Hanbury/Lichfield/Rugeley/Abbots bromley
Brassington - Uttoxeter
Thorley - Stoke on Trent
Mears -Wetley Rocks/Longton Stoke on Trent
Breeze- Hanley/Longton/Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire/Shropshire
Burton - Uttoxeter

Offline Bo halad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
My wife is a hudson im a johnson, both in uttoxeter area of staffordshire, shes not started looking into her (hudson) family tree yet , ive looked a bit into the johnsons and mostly from tean, cheadle area, we are both from very big families, both sides fathers being one of 11 or 12 siblings so it can get confusing very quickly

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 21 December 23 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Watermen where workers on the boats on the bigger rivers ie thames watermen or bargemen worked the docks loading & unloading from the smaller boats such as working canal boats on some of the canal system it was wide enough ie from Brentford to Birmingham to take the wider boats called barges these where ofter crewed by watermen . also some churches ofter listed the working canal boat men as watermen just to confuse matters i have several of my canal boatmen that where listed as watermen