Author Topic: Knighton from Liverpool born 1902  (Read 8129 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Knighton from Liverpool born 1902
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 25 September 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Caroline Harden looks to be a neighbour from Lamb Street. In 1881 she is a Soap Packer - Caroline Mercer.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 25 September 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
The other question that is bothering me is that if Charlotte and James senior were married in 1891, as shown above, why are there no children, apparently, until Eliza about 7 years later ?
William Knighton b 1892 - baptised St Alphonsus,,Lpool ref No 3674 - James Knighton and Charlotte White
Elizabeth Knighton b 1894 - baptised St Alphonsus ,Lpool ref No 3611- James Knighton and Charlotte White

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcbaptisms/baptisms.php
1892-3674   ST ALPHONSUS   282-ALP-1-3 (120)   1892   1892   WILLIAM -    KNIGHTON   JAMES      CHARLOTTE   WHITE   

1894-3611   ST ALPHONSUS   282-ALP-1-3 (203)   1894   1894   ELIZABETH   KNIGHTON   JAMES      CHARLOTTE   WHITE   

These 2 look very likely for your James and Charlotte -I have only read the last 2 pages of the thread ...do you already have these 2 ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 25 September 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Yes Garstonite, in reply 5  ;)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 25 September 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
OK Thanks Heywood ...
http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolaz/gi79.htm
middle of map - Blue school / red church is St Aidens church - Lamb st is also on the map
Kirkdale area of Liverpool ....as Liverpool FC wasn`t even formed until 1892 - they would all have been mad Evertonians at that wedding ... as I am ...lol
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 25 September 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks immensely for your contributions and help for me -- I think I had better take a little time to review and digest this, start from the beginning again -- so many with the same names and living in that time period I'm confused . . .
I was going to answer the earlier question about being confused, saying I don't think so -- but maybe I am --  it looks like both Knighton and White families kept mostly to using names of their parents and grandparents – several generations of James – for instance – just like me being James too. And of course, mariners stop going to sea and do take up other occupations – that's a possibility re the older James the Weaver.

Confusion ?  for instance, this on the 1891 census:

Depending on when the 1891 census there may be connection here, or is it co-incidence ?
   I have an entry that lists both a Mary and a Charlotte, both single at the time -- and probably living as boarders with their widowed mother Mary aged 43 at 64 Eastborne Street --
   Mary White, widowed, age 43, Soapmaker
   Mary White, single, aged 24, Soapmaker
   Charlotte White, sisngle, aged 21 Soapmaker
So if the census was taken before the marriage on July 22 and if Mary was stilll single . . .But wait, I just looked back and see that Heywood sent a comment:
   “ William Carpenter married Mary White   in 1886

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 25 September 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Yes Garstonite – I do have those names thanks – perhaps not all lived too -- in an earlier post on this forum was:

The children were baptised in the Catholic Church as follows

Gulielmus Knighton   born 10.11.1892 godmother Maria Helen Carpenter
Baptism 28.11.1892 St Alphonsus 
Father   Jacobi Knighton
Mother      Charlottae White

Also at St Alphonsus to same parents

Elisabeth Knighton born 18.6.1894 godmother Maria Helena Barber
Baptism  25.6.1894

At Sacred Heart to same parents

Joannes Albertus Knighton born    25.11.1899 godmother Maria Helen Carpenter
Baptism 3.12.1899

At St Michael to same parents

Jacobus Knighton born 4.12.1901 godmother Maria Carpenter
Baptism 18.12.1901

And at Sacred Heart to same parents.  Godmother Maria Helen Carpenter

Helena Knighton b 10.11.1903
Baptism  20.11.1903

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 25 September 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
1891 has the Charlotte White soap maker living at the same address in Lamb Street where she was married from a few months later.

I can't identify her in earlier censuses nor can I see an Alfred White, carpenter. :-\

I can't see the Charlotte with mother Mary  ???

Found the street - I think the page is missing or out of sequence  ::)

Found them now - they are dressmakers though, I would say.
I also think the street is Westbourne Street.  ;)

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 26 September 14 05:51 BST (UK) »
I would like to mention a source that might be useful for researchers looking for relatives who were in the merchant navy. I obtained comprehensive details about the dates and the vessels that my until now mostly unknown father served on during a period of almost 10 years, together with employment records listing his age, birth date, height, eye colour, complexion -- and even his signature -- but best of all there was a photograph portrait of him dressed in his steward's attire -- the only known photo in existence !

The material was provided by an archivist for the City of Southampton who advised that "there are records of service for seamen serving on board British registered vessels between 1918 and 1941". There are merchant seamen's associations and a maritime library in Southampton that, I believe, are holding those records.

Above I listed children of James and Charlotte Knighton, there was another, Arther, born about 1898, his name appears on the census lists for 1901 and 1911 -- but nothing else has come to light.

My next task is to locate the father's name for Charlotte's sister, Mary Ellen White who married William Carpenter in 1886 -- the name should be Alfred White -- but I seem to  recall seeing the name Patrick White as Mary's father -- that would make a problem . . .

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 26 September 14 08:22 BST (UK) »

Above I listed children of James and Charlotte Knighton, there was another, Arther, born about 1898, his name appears on the census lists for 1901 and 1911 -- but nothing else has come to light.

This family are quite a challenge  :)

Free BMD has a birth Arthur Knighton September Quarter 1897 West Derby 8b pg 416

I think it is odd that we have John Albert born March quarter 1900 and there is a death in the next quarter but in Barton upon Irwell  ???

You didn't apply for James birth certificate did you? Did his Merchant Navy records confirm that this is the right family?

Great find by the way re the record- you must be thrilled!