Author Topic: Knighton from Liverpool born 1902  (Read 8128 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Knighton from Liverpool born 1902
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 04 October 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
Which are the other Mary and Charlotte census entries that are possibilities and on the same street?
I have seen a pair of sisters with the same names but they can be discounted- if I recall. If you have the ones you refer to and post the details, I will check.

There are one or two Marys but no Charlotte. We are assuming that they are sisters as they are both White and James is a nephew. That may not be true but obviously with the several baptisms it does seem very likely.
That is what makes it so odd that they can't be found together.
They could both be illegitimate and have invented fathers' names. People do that.

I think you said initially that both James snr and Charlotte disappear. The death certificate may shed some light on that- you never know.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
Re the two "other" White sisters: I have a written note to myself as follows:
Piece 2942/Folio 18/ page 32
The 1891 census shows that a Mary White, widow, age 43 yrs, soapmaker, lived as boarder with her two daughters at 64 Eastbourne Street. Mary age 24 and single and Charlotte age 21 and single, both soapmakers --( as was, I believe, Charlotte Knighton before her marriage.)

I also have a note referring to a baptism of Charlotte Louisa White on November 29, 1869 at Parish of Walton on the Hill -- father Robert White, Mother Ellen White -- not sure of any connection -- except for the name Ellen . . .

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
I also see that there is an earlier Knightons in Liverpool, there was a Charlotte Knighton, born in West Derby in the first quarter of 1845 -- that is many years before "our" Knightons apparently lived in the area -- or what ?

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
PS -- the Liverpool Knightons of earlier years leads me to think that the Nottingham Knighton went to Liverpool to find work in the merchant navy and chose West Derby because there were a family or families of Knightons already living there .

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
I think this the family you mean.

1871 3839/37/20

Stewart White 37 yrs
Mary White 23 yrs
Mary E A White 5 yrs
William S White 4 yrs
Charlotte White 2 yrs

1881. 3686/21/36

Mary White 33 yrs
Mary E A White 15 yrs
Living with her brother Thomas Cooper and family

1881 3669/ 37/16
Charlotte White 12yrs is granddaughter to James and Elizabeth Melvin.

I looked at this some time ago and thought for a while that this was Charlotte - no marriage for the Melvins but then I did find Elizabeth Cooper who matches. Therefore, I think that this is the family you have in 1891.

As I said earlier they are also Dressmakers not Soapmakers and the most important thing is that the other Charlotte White we have - the Soapmaker is at the same address in 1891 as the Charlotte who marries James Knighton.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
PS -- the Liverpool Knightons of earlier years leads me to think that the Nottingham Knighton went to Liverpool to find work in the merchant navy and chose West Derby because there were a family or families of Knightons already living there .

I can't see any other Liverpool/Nottingham Knighton links. He perhaps just went there because of the port. :)

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 04 October 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it will take me a little while to absorb this but I seem to have identified the more immediate family, regardless of the possible differences in the earlier father names -- what I will do is purchase the marriage certificate of Mary and William Carpenter to see what is entered there.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 04 October 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
I was going to suggest that to see what Patrick's occupation was, although we have all other details from the Latin church record.
I also wondered if Charlotte used the 'Carpenter' surname as her father's occupation- I think Alfred was a carpenter, wasn't he?

Offline jimrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 05 October 14 01:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, on the Marriage Entry it does say Carpenter. I have tried entering enquiries for an Alfred but to no avail -- but dozens for Patrick White, mostly Irish.