Author Topic: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry  (Read 34395 times)

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« Reply #135 on: Sunday 23 October 22 11:50 BST (UK) »
Got that wrong. He is alledgedly the son of James Mahony of Clahane, second son of Donogh/ Dennis Mahony of Dromore.

The link is only supported by the fact that he was of Clahane.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sunday 23 October 22 18:54 BST (UK) »
Ok, thanks.  That seems to be the version of things in “The Mahonys of Kerry”:
https://tommahony.com/genealogy/mahonyhx3.htm

This afternoon I found this deed which I don’t think I’ve come across before:

Book 351 / Page 493 / Number 237485
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMQ-V94H-F?i=579&cat=185720
Memorial of release dated 28th Jun 1783 between Peter Trant of the Inner Temple, London, Esq., 1st part; Mary Delany of Castlelough in the County of Kerry, widow, and Mary Delany spinster, daughter of the said Mary Delany by her late husband Patrick Delany of the 2nd; Rt Hom Thomas Browne Lord Kenmare and James Lawlor of the city of Dublin, Esq, 2rd; Thomas Rice of same, Esq, and James Purcell of Kanturk, Co Cork, Esq, 4th.  Peter Trant owned in fee simple lands of Rynvark and Kilfarnogue otherwise Kilfarnoge in the parish of Ventry, Bo. of Corcaguiny [?], Co. Kerry, and was possessed of the half plowland of Killinishall, commonly called Bealaquoneen otherwise Myrtheville in the Bo. Kiericurrihy, Co. Cork, with its ancient and accustomed mears and bounds, by virtue of a lease dated 19th Feb 1771 by Henry Puxley [?] Esq to Thomas Trant merchant, father of the said Peter Trant, for 30 years at the rent of £110, property now come to Peter Trant.  And said Henry Puxley did by 1771 lease grant unto Thomas Fuller Draper the half plowland of Killmichell for 750 years, which said property is now also vested in Peter Trant.  And reciting that a marriage was intended between Peter Trant and Mary Delany, and he sold the said lands to Lord Kenmare and James Lawlor to hold in trust.  Deed and memorial witnessed by James Delany of Castlelough, Co Kerry, gent, and Thomas Trant of Cork City, merchant, and John Connor of Cork City, servant to said Thomas Trant. 

So evidently the marriage of Peter Trant to Mary Delany in Stranraer was not an elopement.  But why did they marry there!?

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Sunday 23 October 22 20:05 BST (UK) »
I had seen that lease before. The land at Rynvark and Kilfarnogue was held by the Trants on a 99 year mortgage dated 27th September 1681.

I suspect the reason that Peter and Mary married in Stranraer is that one was COI and the other RC.

Offline Tishnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Sunday 23 October 22 22:35 BST (UK) »
Awesome stuff, thanks.

Now throw in the probate document of Mary Anne Lawlor in 1833 and her two named aunts, Johanna Sullivan and Hanora Baker (haven't started working through which side they are aunts from, and whether they are blood aunts or married in)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BY-K929-S?mode=g&cat=232755

And I am currenty chatting with a downstream Lawlor in France who has a completely different verson of the Mahony family on his Geneanet tree with Eugene as the brother of Elizabeth (who married Hugh Lawlor), and their father is Michael born in 1723 - Cork married to Helena Holles. First child in the list oif issue is Eugene (Owen) 1746 of Molahiffe who married Margaret de Courcy.

He points out the 1783 discussion about the upcoming marriage of Elizabeth to Hugh Lawlor doesn't actually state Eugene is her father.

So how far I can validate any of this I don't know, but if he is able to provide links to the sources of his documentation that will be brilliant.

ETA

I can't fault his knowledge, he has family documents -

"We have confirmation of that fact by letters showing that Eugene was sending money to Bartholomew (his brother) during the "Emigration" (1800s). We have a copy of Bartholomew's baptism - jan 5, 1748) : his parents are named (in latin) : Michaelis Ô Mahony et Ellena Hollis" ... so Eugene's parents are the same. Their grandfather is Eugene O'Mahony and probably Eugene's godfather since he wears his name...

To get the French nationalty in 1767, to postulate for the order of Malta (1774) Bartholomew had to provide lots of proofs, certified by the Irish king of arms and other authorities. These were summarized in French documents... etc"

Bartholomew stayed in France, and this is his descendant I am chatting to.

I guess sometimes what you need isn't found in just Irish repositories.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 24 October 22 17:37 BST (UK) »
That's great stuff Tish.

Eugene was always the mystery man. How did he become the freeholder of Castlefarm? If he was a Catholic that would have to be after 1782 when the Penal Laws were relaxed

Offline Tishnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 24 October 22 23:16 BST (UK) »
That I don't know and if Dominique does, he hasn't said he has documentation for it. Accurate dates and documentation for Eugene seems to be scant, and he doesn't appear to know when Michael died. There are some real gaps in what is essentially reasonably adequately documentation with regard to some elements of the family BDM and Wills so I guess someone better than me at managing the research might find them but the health constraints I now have make searching and recording stuff rathermore  difficult and my research has from necessity been dramatically reduced.

But I will keep reading and adding anything I have of use :-)

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 20:47 BST (UK) »
Looks like Michael might be Eugene's father, though you have to careful as the Browne's owned a Castlefarm in co Limerick too.
PRONI Reference :  D4151/B/31/1
Title :  Lease of lands in Castlefarm from Thomas
Dates :  20 July 1769
Description :  Lease of lands in Castlefarm from Thomas Browne, 4th Viscount Kenmare, to Michael Mahony of Cloonagh, Co. Kerry.

Also the following confirms the De Courcy link, plus lots more at http://www.odonohoearchive.com/a-sketch-of-molahiffe-castle-and-the-manor-of-molahiffe/#_ftn21

"In June 1823, Court of Exchequer, Fagan a. De Courcy and others, ‘from 29th September next, the House and Demesne of Castle Farm in the County of Kerry now in the possession of the Defendant, Maurice De Courcy.’  In 1826: Fagan, a. De Courcy and others, ‘Set up and let for three years pending this cause from 29th September next the House and Demesne of Castlefarm in the County of Kerry.’  In 1829: Ellen Fagan, Plaintiff, Maurice De Courcey and others, Defendants, Court of Exchequer, 10 July 1829, ‘Set up and Let for three years from 29th September next, the House and Demesne of Castlefarm in the County of Kerry.’

In 1825, in the Court of Exchequer, Ellen Fagan, Plaintiff, Maurice De Courcey and others, Defendants, ‘Set up to be Let for three years, from 25th March next, the Lands of Molahiffe as heretofore in the possession of Maurice, John, Andrew and Daniel Brien.’   In 1828, the lands were in the tenancy of Daniel Supple Esq.  In 1831, the lands of Molahiffe, in the tenancy of Daniel Supple Esq, were let in the matter of Fagan, Decourcy and others."

Also from the Limerick wills index there is:
"Courcey, Mary (widow), Castlefarm, co. Kerry 1798"

Offline Tishnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 22:51 BST (UK) »
Margaret de Courcy was Eugene's wife. They had no issue.  What appears to be her probate in 1819 is right below Eugene's 1814 one in the probates document, obviously complied at a later date..

Michael O'Mahony and his wife Helen Hollis had 5 known issue, Eugene, Bartholomew 1748, Elizabeth, Anna and Eleanora.

Bartholomew went to France and stayed there, hence the need for the collective documents the summary of which is now held by the French family, and letters. That those documents did once exist, to be able to be produced for the process of gaining French nationalty in 1767, and to postulate for the order of Malta in 1774 begs the question which archives were they all from then, and where are they all now? Documents appear patchy and there seems to be a lot of missing stuff, baptisms, marriages, wills and deaths.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 23:14 BST (UK) »
The Registered Pedigree of the Mahony family is at https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000530553, this branch is on image 130.