Author Topic: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry  (Read 34428 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 02 June 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
I’ve not had the chance to fully go through everything in your last post.  Interesting notes about the restrictions on Catholic property.  The Brownes the Delaneys married into were Protestants – I don’t know if Margaret Delaney had already converted before she married.

You’re ahead of my on the Delany deeds – I’m determined to prove the link to Denis Shine Lawlor before I move on.

I agree Mary Delany probably wouldn’t refer to nephews and nieces as “kinsmen”.  I’d thought maybe Martin would have been brother to Mary’s father Dr. James.  But I see Mary and Martin were more likely of the same generation, so perhaps cousins.  Urgh, who knows?

I’m now pretty much satisfied that the Hugh Lawlor who married Anastatia Gallwey is the Dr Hugh Lawlor of Killarney:

Hugh LAWLOR (d. betw. 1820-4) m. Anastatia GALLWEY
-   Honora LAWLOR m. (1795) John SHEA
                    -     John SHEA LAWLOR
                    -     Anastatia SHEA
-   Catherine Frances LAWLOR (b. 1787)
-   Juliana LAWLOR m. (1807) James MAGILL
-   Ellen LAWLOR m. (1811) Daniel DUGGAN
                    -     Anastatia DUGGAN (b. 1812)

Have I missed anybody?

Deeds relating to Hugh’s estate (as you’ve mentioned) also mention a Hugh Lawlor of Cork who could be the Hugh mentioned in the will of Frances Gallwey in 1802/4. 

There’s also a Mary Margaret Lawlor who could be a daughter, or is she the same person as Mary Anne Lawlor who was brother to this Lieut. M. Lawlor.  I’ve looked the name up and I think this must be Lieutenant Michael Lawlor of the Tenth Regiment Native Infantry:
https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.68786/2015.68786.The-East-india-Register-And-Directory--Ed-2nd1819_djvu.txt

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:21 BST (UK) »

Found this on Findmypast:

I Michael Lawlor of Killarney in the County of Kerry Gent son of Hugh Lawlor late of Killarney aforesaid deceased presented for the appointment of cadet by the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland do make oath and swear that I have caused search to be made for a parish register whereby to ascertain my age but am unable to produce the same there being none to be found, and further I make oath and swear that from the information of my parents and other relations which information sincerely believe to be true that I was born in the parish of Kil…….? In the County of Kerry on the eight day of October in the year one thousand seven hundred and eight six and that I am not at this time under the age of fifteen or above twenty two years.  Witness by hand this 12th of February 1808 in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and eight. Sworn before me this 12th of February 1808 ??? ? Mahony.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL/BIND/L-MIL-9-117-PART2/00005&parentid=BL/BIND/L-MIL-9/15064

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Somebody thinks they are related to that Michael see https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawlor-122

Either way it suggests that he is the son of Hugh Lawlor who married Elizabeth Mahony in 1783, not Hugh Lawlor the doctor.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
As to your previous message, the Browne's started off as Catholics. They backed James II and were rewarded with a Baronetcy, one of eight that were never recognised by the Westminster Parliament. In the early 1700's Thomas Asgill seized some of their lands using a Protestant Discoverers Bill, they got it back when he went bankrupt in around 1720.

The 1755 deed is the earliest one listed in the Land Indices for Glengarriff that names Delany. The previous deed for that property names Richard White and someone else. I haven't looked at that deed, Derby Delany may be in the detail. The White family went on to become the Earls of Bantry.

Anastasia Gallwey being the link to the Gallwey family is neater than the solution in the Gallwey genealogy. I haven't found any other children for Hugh the doctor, I don't think they had any other children that survived though with Honora marrying in 1795 and Ellen in 1811 there is quite an age range.

As for Hugh of Cork, I don't think he is the kinsman mentioned in the will of Frances Gallwey in 1802/4. I think Hugh the doctor is via Anastasia his wife.

At some stage it might be worth paying the £3.50 to look at the will of James Lawlor of Dublin who died in 1804... Probably turn out to be irrelevant!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 07 June 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
I've been working away from home this week, so haven't had much time to properly digest the above.  However, I did follow your advice and purchased the copy of James Lawlor's will - it is indeed our man.  (I'll send you a copy if you're interested.)

Unfortunately I find the writing in this one very difficult to read - it's one of those where every letter looks like a u, e.g. umummlyiummunnnumubuuummm ... you get the picture!  Anyway, I think I got the important names (excluding place names which could be well off the mark):

I James Lawlor of St Stephen’s Green, Dublin, Esqr do make this will.  I bequeath the remainder of a debt due to me by bond from the heirs of Darby Magil late of Killarney, Esqr., deceased, to his daughter Sarah Magill.  I bequeath my farms of Kilbruderrymore Logh [??] and Lisluniout [??] Kilbruderrybog [?] otherwise Lissivane [?] and Lisnisatoe which lands are commonly called the two Killbrunderrys [?] also Droundaragot [??] and Mualylass [??] all in CO Kerry, and all my estate and interest in said lands, to my sister Mary Delany.

I bequeath to my cousin german John Ffrancis Mahony now a Captain in the Irish Brigade £100 with lawful interest.  To his mother the widow of my late uncle Darby Mahony deceased £500 provided she who as I am informed is now in France shall be in Ireland at the time of my death or shall at any time afterwards come to Ireland and not otherwise.

Freehold land of Killobills [??] and Ardrounell [??] Co Kerry, to sister Mary Delaney during the term of her life, and afterwards to my step son Nathaniel Crumpe.

Lands of east and west Killvalane [?], the is;and of Pouguss [?] Ballyrarberry, Tyrae, and East Councugo [??] in the Barony of Iveragh, Co Kerry, wherein I am now seized of an estate of Inb??taure [?] in ffee simple to my sister Mary Delany during her life, and afterwards to my wife Dorothea during her life, and after that to my step son the said Nathaniel Crumpe.

I devise the lands of Castlelough, Parbagalane [?] Gortarounig [?] Carrigafrolane [?] Ardagh, Parbuore [?] and Ballyrusherre, all in Barny of Magunihy, Co Kerry, wherein I am now seized of an estate inb???toure [?] in ffee simple and which produce to me at present the yearly rent of £160 3s, but are after the death of my sister to produce the yearly rent of £206 3s, also the lands of Solir [?] and Ardbourough [?] Iushi??s [?] Craggs and Couterris [?] in the Barony of Dunkerron, Co Kerry, wherein I am now seized inb???toure [?] in ffee simple, to Peter Trant of Killarney Co Kerry, Esq, for and during the joint lives of him and his wife Mary Anne Trant otherwise Delany my niece, after their deaths to my wife Dorothea, and after her to step son Nathaniel Crumpe.

Remaining real and personal estate to my wife Dorothea.  She also to be the sole executor.  Dated 5th Jan 1796.  Witnesses Rvd ? Simpson, Shady Collins, Wm Dore.

I James Lawlor of Saint Stephen’s Green, Dublin, do make this codicil.  Whereas by my last will and testament I did bequeath to my cousin german John Ffrancis Mahony then a captain in the Irish Brigade, but lately a captain in the A????s G??man Regiment [??] the sum of £100, and £500 conditionally to his mother, and whereas their situation has been much improved since I made my said will, and the motives I had then for bequeathing said legacies have no longer any influence on my mind, I therefore revoke both said legacies.  The sum to revert to residual legatees.  In addition to that already bequeathed to sister Mary Delaney, a further legacy of £1000 with interest.

Dated 18th Jan 1803.  Witnesses Richard Williams N.P, Pat. Hayes, Wm Little.

Probate granted to Dorothea Lawlor the widow and relict, 13th October 1804.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 08 June 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
I'm travelling at the moment too. So I haven't got access to my files.

Sarah Magill may be https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Magill-87

As for John Francis Mahony I don't have any records of him but his father Darby may be the man mentioned in the earlier lease, and also
•John Mahony of Dunloe leased lots of land west of Lough Leane, he died in 1780. He was the man who wrote in 1750 "There are a great many Candidates putting up for Grenagh. Nobody knows here yet who'll have it.". Also that year he wrote "Sister Lawlor got a young son last Wednesday. He is not much bigger than a Rabbit. I hear she has been very weak since, but I hope will soon get y° better of it."
•Darby Mahony may be a brother of John. Dennis & Darby Mahony of Dunlough (Dunloe) were captured by the British in 1745 when they were going to help Bonnie Prince Charlie.

The Dennis mentioned above lived and died in France and Darby may have done the same
the widow of my late uncle Darby Mahony deceased £500 provided she who as I am informed is now in France

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 09 June 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Just a note on Dorothea, wife of James Lawlor…

1772 – Dorothea Crumpe of Killarney – witness to a deed involving James Lawlor and Mary Delany.

1777 – Marriage licence, James Lawlor and Dorothea Crump

1823 – Gentleman’s magazine (1823): Feb 12. In Lower Berkeley-street, aged 84, Dorothea, relict of the late James Lawlor, esq. of Dublin.

Going by Burke’s it seems Dorothea was previously married to Francis Crumpe, and she was the daughter of Nathaniel Bland and Lucy Heaton.

“Collections for a history of the ancient family of Bland” has much more detail:

DOROTHEA, married, first, to FRANCIS CRUMPE, Esq., of Inch Island, in the County of Kerry, by whom she had an only son, NATHANIEL, --- and, secondly, JAMES LAWLOR, Esq., of Castle-Lough, in the County of Kerry, by whom she had no issue, and whom she survived.

On the 1st of October, 1811, NATHANIEL CRUMPE, Esq., --- who, to the regret of his friends, left his paternal acres, and settled at Randall’s Park, in the parish of Leatherhead, in Surrey, --- obtained His Majesty’s Licence, that he and his issue might assume and take the surname of Bland, instead of that of Crumpe, and also bear the arms of Bland, in compliance with the earnest wish and desire of his Mother, out of respect and regard to the memory of her late deceased father, NATHANIEL BLAND, LL.D., --- and arms for Bland were, in consequence, assigned to him and his issue, on the 16th of November, 1812.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
I found this earlier today in a book called “A History of the O’Mahony Septs”:

In the French Service, the exhaustive De La Ponce MSS, mention the following: ---

1. Derby, born in Ireland 1718 (son of Daniel of Dunloe), Colonel in 1778.

7. John Francis, son of Col. Derby, and grandson of Daniel of Dunlor, Chef De Battalion 1807.  Being a strong Royalist, he is unfavourable referred to by his republican countryman Miles Byrne in his Memoirs.  Colonel in 1812 in the Irish Regiment.  Colonel in Regt. Of the Line (41st) in 1819.  Count in 1815.  Brigadier (Mestre de Camp) in 1823.  He was alive in the time of Louis Philippe, and was succeeded by his son, Count Ernest.  A Count O’Mahony who resides in Rue Dauphinée, Orleans, is now chief representative of his name on the Continent.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 09 June 18 17:20 BST (UK) »

Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of John Hilliard Lawlor (by Catherine, daughter of Lt. Col. John Elliot Cairnes), son of Dr. Jeremiah Lawlor of Tralee and to the third son of John Hilliard Lawlor being Rev. Hugh Jackson Lawlor, Dean of St. Patrick's, April 29, 1925.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.111c, fol.62
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.