Author Topic: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry  (Read 34430 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 09 June 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hallmark, where did you get the two family tree snippets you posted on the previous page?  Are they from online or your own collection?

John Hilliard's line goes to the McClures of Antrim where I have a connection!!

Just had that as part of documentation.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 09 June 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
You're right that Derby Mahony could be James Lawlor’s uncle by virtue of being his mother’s brother. Perhaps the fabled Julia, the only one of Daniel's children worthy of wearing his breeches.

The snippets are the trees that Betham put together from the abstracts he created, so there's nothing additional there. Some of them are on the NLI web-site.

There are lot's of other off-line sources. PRONI has over one tonne of the Kenmare Manuscripts, it also has a box of Mahony letters from 1795-1805 that probably mentions all sorts of people and places.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 09 June 18 23:30 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 09 June 18 23:45 BST (UK) »

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 10 June 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
87 "O'Lalour"s were expelled from Queen's County (Laois) in 1607. They were one of "The Seven Septs of Leix" - http://patrick.lallour.pagesperso-orange.fr/Olalour/ol87.htm

They ended up on Crosbie land in Tarbert - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarbert,_County_Kerry.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 10 June 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
They ended up on Crosbie land in Tarbert whose wife was one of them!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 10 June 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
^ Interesting.  I shall have to go and read up on this 1607 treaty.

I did see a reference to Daniel Mahony’s velvet breeches, but not the name of the daughter – where did you get Julia?

The reason I was wondering about the family tree snippets is because they looked like Burke’s genealogical extracts at PRONI which are in about 20 volumes – I was wondering if someone had digitised them.  They’re a similar idea to Betham’s – just bits of family trees drawn up from wills, though I did find one headstone transcription which was that of my 9x great grandfather.

I’ve made a note to look up some of the documents in the Kenmare papers next time I’m at PRONI.

John, you mentioned on a previous post that the Brownes started off as Catholics and were allied to James II.  My Brownes did use the name Valentine, and it would be nice to think they were from the Kenmare family, but I’ve not got any evidence for it yet.

The most plausible suggestion I have seen for my Brownes is that they descend from a Rev. Matthew Browne (c1735-1788) of St. James and St. Catherine in Dublin.  He was the son of a William Browne in County Monaghan. 

The Rev. Matthew Browne may have named his sons Chaworth and Brabazon in honour of his patrons the Earls of Meath.

Anyway, that’s probably another story for another thread.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 10 June 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Regarding Julia and the breeches, I was conflating Daniel's probable half sister with his probable daughter. I shouldn't do too much without looking at my notes.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 10 June 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
The Dennis/Dermod/Darby problem starts with Dennis and Derby in 1745. The index entry for the National Archive entry at Kew says the two Lieutenants captured off Montrose were from Dunlough. (first snippet)

This doesn't seem to be in your screenshots and I can't find what you're referring to.  Do you have a link?

If one of Daniel Mahony's daughters was the grandmother of John O'Connell (c1725-1745) and his younger siblings, she'd need to have been born before 1695 at the latest.  This does not fit with the apparent date of Daniel's first marriage (1705).  Did he have an earlier marriage...?