Author Topic: 1720 Sasine few words  (Read 460 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1720 Sasine few words
« on: Friday 22 August 14 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
More Sasines! Though this one is relatively easy compared to some I have from the mid 1740s which are a nightmare – one particular clerk who REALLY didn’t want to use up any paper!
Anyway, just a few odd words in this one. Isobel Marshall has precept clear constat as her father had died. This Sasine is great, not only does it give her and her husband, but also her father and HIS grandfather! I know her grandfather from another Sasine, so 4 generations ! Fabulous!
Quite a bit of this one is taken up listing the Duke of Hamilton’s many titles - which are on wikipaedia

I’ll do it in two posts.

Clip 1. ‘of the precept of clare constat after insert and ? compeared personally upon the ground…..”
Almost could be subscribed but don’t think it is.

Clip 2. ‘ Michael Marshall in Strathaven father to Issobell Marshall be ?  heir of dyed last ?  (left?) and sased as of the fie at the   ?   (earth?)  and  ?  of our  ?  in all and haill ……….

Clip 3 ‘ Leiper officer in Strathaven our ?    for as much as is the ?   ? instruments and documents showen and produced

Many thanks

By the way GR2,if you’re reading this, that ‘moss’ was ‘Cornygroats’ – now Corneygroats, near Strathaven.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1720 Sasine few words
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 14 08:03 BST (UK) »
1. sicklyke = in this way, like this, thus

2. beirer heirof dyed vest and seised as of fie at the faith and peace of our Sov[e]r[e]I[g]n = bearer hereof died invested and seised in the fee and was in the king's good graces, not forfeit

3. our lovetts = our (be)loved

forasmuch as By authentick