Author Topic: alexander fraser 1810 parents  (Read 4642 times)

Offline brylio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
alexander fraser 1810 parents
« on: Monday 25 August 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me locate the parents of Alexander Fraser born 15/1/1810 Laggan Invernesshire. His parents are listed on his baptism and his entry to Australia as Donald Fraser and Isabella MacPherson. I cannot find any record of his parents being married. Is there any kirk sessions records for this period to see if there is any record of parents. He arrived in Australia in 1838 prior to the first census so are there any records such as school enrolments, tenants list, landholders employees or anything to help me locate some information on his parents and any other siblings.
fraser- alexander fraser and margaret mcbain,scotland
caldwell-john caldwell and mary bird,scotland
templeman-caius templeman and elizabeth hughes,wales

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: alexander fraser 1810 parents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
What does his baptism entry state? If it says 'lawful son of..." then they would normally be married. Any 'address' given eg 'in... ' which might narrow down where they liven in Laggan? Are there any siblings born to the same couple whose baptism records might give more clues?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Brylio

There is this reference to a marriage/banns here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTRK-JYX

Hard to say if connected without more info really.

The birth/christening entry that you have shows on the OPRs doesn't it on Scotlands People. There looks to potentially be one other entry in the OPRs in 1805, with those parents' names, but this shows in Edinburgh https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT5Z-L8G

It is always frustrating when you are only able to find just a few records in the period pre 1855. Lots of reasons for this. Remember also that only about a third of births and marriages were recorded in the Old Parish Registers which were for the established Church of Scotland, ie presbyterian. Other denominations are harder to find entries for in the old records.

Do you know what Donald Fraser's occupation was from any of Alexander's details? His 1810 entry, were there any family surnames for witnesses (if a christening entry)?

There is a Donald Fraser having children in Laggan after 1812. But this is from a couple who married in 1812 and wife called Janet Fraser.

Kirk Session minutes etc are only searchable in person. Nothing is currently available online for these types of records (ongoing project at Scotlands People...).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Brylio,  the Gordon estates were the biggest landowners in Laggan, many of their tenants were given assisted passage to Australia, one district in particular (forget where? ;D) has many of the Laggan place-names.
Try these sites,

http://www.lagganheritage.com/

http://www.clan-macpherson.org/museum/

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline brylio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 04:02 BST (UK) »
Alexander baptism record reads as follows - Donald Fraser in Senavale & Isobel McPherson had a child in fornication baptized this day called Alexander. 15/1/1810 Laggan Inverness-shire OPR 104.
It is this reason I cannot find any marriage between the two parents. My query is, who raised Alexander, did Donald & Isobel ever marry, where was he raised, did he have any other siblings. His only next mention or record I can find is of Alexander marrying Margaret McBean on 22/11/1831, this union saw three children born in Scotland before the family moved to Australia in 1838 from Oban.
fraser- alexander fraser and margaret mcbain,scotland
caldwell-john caldwell and mary bird,scotland
templeman-caius templeman and elizabeth hughes,wales

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
This is Shanvall, a croft between Catlodge & Glen Truim, still in existance, modernised a few years ago.

A cracking pic' of Shanvall, NN6794, Monadhliath hills in the background, on,

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3364265

Laggan in New South Wales could be the destination of the Laggan folk. Being about as far from the sea as you can get, the Laggan folk left in a train of carts on the newly constructed road to Fort William where they embarked for Oz.

You might also consider joining,   

www.highlandfamilyhistorysociety.org

Possibly someone else has already researched this family?

Skoosh.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that his parents never married.   It was common practice in Scotland for children to have their fathers surname even though the parents never married.

He was probably brought up by his mothers family.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk