Author Topic: Ardrossan Parish Cemetery  (Read 2263 times)

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ardrossan Parish Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 08:05 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the ‘Coast Mission Home’ Saltcoats.

I have Alexander Thomson here in the 1881 census as a patient.

Interestingly there is also an entry for a nurse, Margaret Fullarton. I believe he went on to marry her but she died soon after in childbirth.

Do any records exist for this ‘Home?’

I have seen some references to it possibly being for TB. Can anyone add anything to this?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 08:25 BST (UK) »
Try searching on Google a few mentions there on
Coast Mission Home Saltcoats

Rosie

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks will do. I’ve looked before but failed to find any references to records of patients.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. I thought I had looked there  ::)
If you looked for Marg* it would not find Magg*.

The best way to search for a Margaret is Ma*g* - that finds Margaret, Margret, Margrit, Marg, Margt, Margery, Maggie and other variations.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Forfarian.
I have traced his first marriage to Maggie Fullarton and her death in childbirth.

Intrigued that he married a nurse from the Mission Home. Wondering what took him there in 1881.

Wondering if any records exist for this institution.

He went on to marry again and I believe have eleven more children.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 10:15 BST (UK) »
Just realised that that was a bit late - but maybe better late than never!

Glad you found her, but I can't help with the Mission Home. I assume that you have tried North Ayrshire Heritage and they have nothing either.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian  :)

I will follow up but not holding out much hope.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 12:10 BST (UK) »
Mission coast Home still exists but is used as a Religious Centre.  It is in Saltcoats, on Nineyards street  from the Railway bridge to the corner of Findlay's Brae and faces across the sea towards Irvine.
I'm from Ardrossan and my father had a Motorcycle Shop in Bradshaw Street diagonally opposite the Coast Home, although it was a mystery to me what went on there.  I thought it was used as a Respite and Holiday Centre for Glasgow folks.
Saltcoats Countess Street has a line marked through its middle with Ardrossan parish on the north side and Stevenston parish to the south.  The Ardrossan parish was under the control of the Earls of Eglinton.
The Ardrossan Parish Church in Kirkgate is the 3rd one.  The original was on the Castle Hill in Ardrossan near the Castle, the remains have been excavated recently.  It was destroyed in a storm and another was built on Stanley Road at Laird's Weir.  Most of the folks were resident some distance away at Saltcoats and the Third one was built.  There were burials at the original one on Castlehill and at Kirkgate, Saltcoats but the Laird's Weir had a small enclosure with a ? Cenotaph.
Ardrossan Cemetery on Sorbie Road was used by Ardrossan and Saltcoats folks.  Stevenston had and have their own separate one.
Cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
Apart from the usual sources you will find much about Ardrossan & Saltcoats's people and places on the THREETOWNERS website ( aka 3towners )
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.