Author Topic: 1861 Census for Llangynwyd / Cwmdu / Maesteg Area Can't find Evan and Ann Rees  (Read 4572 times)

Offline rdmp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census for Llangynwyd / Cwmdu / Maesteg Area Can't find Evan and Ann Rees
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 September 19 07:27 BST (UK) »
I had a look at Ed District 7 for Llangynwyd/Maesteg (which appears to cover the area where Evan & Ann were living in subsequent census returns) for the 1861 census and found that some pages have not been included (perhaps not scanned??).  Pages 27 to 34 (inclusive) of that book do not have images and scans of pages 41 and 42 are shown twice. 

Perhaps this could be why you cannot find Evan & Ann Rees?

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census for Llangynwyd / Cwmdu / Maesteg Area Can't find Evan and Ann Rees
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 September 19 08:14 BST (UK) »
I have attended a number of events at Olympia and at the NEC held by "Who do you think you are ".
At these events there were lectures and q & a sessions with  Census experts.
The problem  with the 1861 census nationally is that people were allowed to see the original documents and in many cases tore out the pages that contained their details....so taking with them so much more.

Offline rdmp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 September 19 08:33 BST (UK) »
Indeed.  I found this out after searching for family that had been living near Swansea as well as some of my husband's family living in London. 

All very frustrating!!