Author Topic: Help with marriage in Canada  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Angelgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with marriage in Canada
« on: Monday 25 August 14 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
just wondering if anyone has any access to Canadian records and could possibly help me with some information.
My father's sister, Ada Doughty emigrated to Canada. I have found the record of her passage to Quebec inSeptember 1929,  and I do not really know anything else except she married a Canadian who if i was informed correctly was called William Crawford, and that she lived the rest of her life in Toronto, Ontario. I was just wondering if anyone could find a record of that marriage for me. I would be most grateful for any help that anyone could give me.
Thank you

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with marriage in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

Each Canadian province keeps its own records and accessibility is governed by privacy laws. Records for Ontario are currently available on line to about 1928 and at the Ontario Archives to 1931, if I remember correctly, with a new year added annually. Beyond these dates we need to rely on things like newspaper announcements for this type of info.

You might find an announcement in the Toronto Star Archives at the link below. It is my understanding that the index is free to use and then you need to purchase time to view your findings. It is not expensive to purchase a short amount of time.

http://www.thestar.com/about/archive-search.html

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi angelgirl,

The BMD archive for Ontario is located in Thunder Bay. Direct descendants can order records for them within the privacy law under certain conditions and verification of relationship with the person being sought. Here is the website addy: https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do and http://www.vitalcertificates.ca/ontario/

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Angelgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi PB and JDC that is very helpful. I will be able to look into those suggestions now.
Angelgirl

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Had a quick peek in the Star.  I found her obit on Feb 18, 1993, page B7.  (Also on the 17th, page E8)

She did marry William Crawford.  Ada Crawford, formerly of Douglas Ave, died at Kennedy Lodge on Feb 15, 1993.  Daughter of the late Frederick and Amy Alice (Enoch) Doughty of Birmingham, England.  Beloved wife of the late William Crawford of Toronto (no mention of how long they had been married :().  Survived by brothers James and Bert, sister Amy Brooks, all of Birmingham.  Predeceased by brothers Frederick, William and Joseph and by her sister Alice.  No mention of kids - says she had several nieces and nephews.  Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Don't see a marriage notice in the paper, but at least you are now certain of the husband's name.
RK   

Offline Angelgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi RunKitty
Thank you so much for taking the time to find that out for me. I do know that she did not have any children. But just confirming that my information for the marriage was correct is very helpful. As we all know information passed down from family is not always totally correct.
Once again thanks very much to all who have given me help with this. I am most grateful
Angelgirl

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi angel,

If you contact the administration at the cemetery, they may be able to give you additional information - in particulate William :-) Similarly at Kennedy Lodge. The websites are: http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/deathoccurred/cemeteries/locations/mp and http://www.reveraliving.com/kennedy.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Angelgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 August 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi JDC
sorry to have taken  so long to reply. I would just like to say thank you very much for the information  you gave me about the cemetary and kennedy lodge. i will get onto this now that i am back from my break. Thanks again
Angelgirl

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 14 03:10 BST (UK) »
YW angel, I find the administrators of these places quite helpful most of the time.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England