Author Topic: Ann Daley murdered 24th july 1839  (Read 30816 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Daley murdered 24th july 1839
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 September 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
I am off to the library tomorrow to look at the death at East Maitland to see if its a child or Anne will let rootschat know my findings.

Did you?
If so, what information was on the burial register?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thomas Daley was in the Maitland district when not in Sydney Gaols during the 1830s.

Thomas DALEY ex the Mangles, born 1803 Co Tyrone, Catholic, Labourer, was 5ft 5 inches, stout, fresh complexion, dark hair, Grey eyes, when committed to Gaol in Sydney in 1838.  He had previously (in 1834) been at the Sydney Gaol, sent there from Newcastle, to await a Trial, for which he was found Not Guilty and discharged 12 May 1834.   The 1838 trial resulted in a sentence of “Transportation to Norfolk Island 16 October 1838.”   He seems to have  received a further 7 year sentence of Transportation PS (Penal Servitude) in April 1843.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thomas Daley was in the Maitland district when not in Sydney Gaols during the 1830s.

Thomas DALEY ex the Mangles, born 1803 Co Tyrone, Catholic, Labourer, was 5ft 5 inches, stout, fresh complexion, dark hair, Grey eyes, when committed to Gaol in Sydney in 1838.  He had previously (in 1834) been at the Sydney Gaol, sent there from Newcastle, to await a Trial, for which he was found Not Guilty and discharged 12 May 1834.   The 1838 trial resulted in a sentence of “Transportation to Norfolk Island 16 October 1838.”   He seems to have  received a further 7 year sentence of Transportation PS (Penal Servitude) in April 1843.

Plenty of details & links about Thomas & his escapades in my reply #15 ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=697273.msg5429445#msg5429445

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:48 BST (UK) »
My Anne Walker was sentenced Monahan same day as Thomas Daley stealing hats... husband and wife... have found their marriage in Tyrone ... going by all records Anne Walker was sent to Patersons plains another younger girl called Anne walker on ship Edward was also sent to John Tucker Hunter valley .Now I have the birth certificate of Sarah Daley mother Anne Walker father Thomas daley .They were not together after 1834 .Sarah aged 8yrs in 1839 witnessed the death of her mother and gave evidence against John Gorman.There are 7 Thomas Daleys. I have all records of these 2 but can you tell me where you got that Thomas Daley went to Iron Bark Creek as there was another Thomas daley from Monahan that came on Midas but was transcribed Mangles. I have found a lot wrong when transcribed.....I have their TOLs no mention of Iron bark creek thats the first I have heard of it silky
scotland england wales australia new zealand
Mealmaker  Pennington/Peninton May Harris Jones Henry

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Merlin
it seems that the last thing on Thomas daley record he absconded but no more only Gaz Librarian in Tassie told me Gaz is Gazette so he disappears that's all I have so far.
Thank you again Silky

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 September 14 09:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry merlin haven't been to library yet

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 September 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there Silky

I am confuddled by your comment that you have Sarah's birth certificate.  Civil registration does not commence in NSW until 1856, and yet you have Sarah as aged 8 in 1839.   

Now I have the birth certificate of Sarah Daley mother Anne Walker father Thomas daley .They were not together after 1834 .Sarah aged 8yrs in 1839 witnessed the death of her mother and gave evidence against John Gorman........ can you tell me where you got that Thomas Daley went to Iron Bark Creek

I will go back through my earlier notes to see where the mention of Iron Bark Creek came from.

Hi there Merlin,

Sorry for duplicating your earlier posts.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 September 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
I read the following snip as Iron Bark Creek.

It refers to Thomas Daley and mentions his ToL reference 33/197 on that same document.

Cheers,  JM

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 September 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
I read the following snip as Iron Bark Creek.

Yes, it does say Iron Bark Creek JM  ;)

The Disposal List for the convicts arriving 1828 on the Mangles (5) have Thomas DALEY being assigned to J B WELLER at Iron Bark Creek.

J B WELLER = Joseph Brooks WELLER.
Plenty of info available for him, his brothers & family.