Author Topic: BBC 1 WDYTYA: Series 11, Episode 4, Brendan O'Carroll  (Read 18173 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC 1 WDYTYA: Series 11, Episode 4, Brendan O'Carroll
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 August 14 06:33 BST (UK) »
I nearly switched off when I heard what the focus was going to be  - not Irish history again! - but it was absorbing, just as the Patrick Stewart episode was. Maybe the murderer was, in fact, already known, but I didn't know, and the process of discovery was fascinating. Better than some of the episodes that follow the well-used format of chunks of marginally-relevant social history to pad them out - I've got bored and given up a few times in the last couple of series.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 August 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
I didn't even get to half way before switching off. Definitely not WDYTYA as far as I am concerned. He said himself all he wanted to know was who killed his grandfather.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 August 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
I thought it was an interesting story, but I prefer my WDYTYAs to be about the lifespans of people (so finding out where they were born, how they grew up, their job, marriage and death etc) rather than about a single issue. 

This reminded me of the Rick Stein episode when Rick traced the mental health records of his father - I kept wondering to what extent the average person on the street would have access to these records.  Are the witness statements open to all?

It is, however, a bit disappointing if the answer to the question of who and why was he shot already known as per nospringchicken's post below.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 August 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Although it was said that the IRA in the 1920s was different to the later IRA I think in the average persons mind the IRA means one thing - murdering British soldiers.

Because of this I think it was a gamble on Brendan's part to make this programme, did it come off?
I don't know although personally I don't think constantly dragging up this murky period in British history does any good to anyone.

No side was innocent so lets have a story of someone murdered by the IRA if the BBC feel the need to keep going back to this period of our history.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 August 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
Better than some of the episodes that follow the well-used format of chunks of marginally-relevant social history to pad them out - I've got bored and given up a few times in the last couple of series.

I agree totally.

Although it was said that the IRA in the 1920s was different to the later IRA I think in the average persons mind the IRA means one thing - murdering British soldiers.

Because of this I think it was a gamble on Brendan's part to make this programme, did it come off?
I don't know although personally I don't think constantly dragging up this murky period in British history does any good to anyone.

No side was innocent so lets have a story of someone murdered by the IRA if the BBC feel the need to keep going back to this period of our history.

It always surprises me how little most people in Britain seem to know about recent Irish history. Especially given how recent, how close, how bloody, and - as you say - how murky it all was. I might be biased because it's something I'm interested in...

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 August 14 09:29 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it's appropriate to add it here, but a MOOC from Trinity college of this period in Irish History starts on Monday.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/irish-history

McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 August 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
The programme alleges Hardy was Peter O'Carroll's killer because of the comment made by the Dublin Castle mole to concentrate on Hardy? Is there any proof? Could it have been one of the other auxilleries? Did you see Brendan's jaw drop when he was told there were no Black & Tans in Dublin? Auxilleries were in Dublin not Black & Tans.

I thought it was an interesting programme. I used to think it was just the IRA who went round murdering people. These killings by the Auxilleries were before it all kicked off on Bloody Sunday so gave an insight into the secret war that was going on. I would have liked to have seen Brendan's family tree though to see the surnames in his family.

Blue

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 August 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
I too think he was taking a 'chance' on letting this story be aired.

I know lots of people have moved on from these terrible times......

BUT lots havent, and talking of secret wars ----- in this day and age-  :-X

Good luck to him and I hope he has achieved his aim - through the programme, whatever that may have been.

For myself, I would much have prefered to have learnt more about his ROOTS. but hey it has to be
something to make people watch.

xin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 August 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
His mother was a very interesting woman but not far back enough of course, there is an interesting story about the couple who ended up not going on the Titanic, one set of his Grandparents I think.
I'd imagine they stuck to the one story format because as usual with Irish families it's impossible to trace back more that a generation or two.

His mother http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_O'Carroll

I didn't see the show so can't comment on it.