Author Topic: BBC 1 WDYTYA: Series 11, Episode 4, Brendan O'Carroll  (Read 18167 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BBC 1 WDYTYA: Series 11, Episode 4, Brendan O'Carroll
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
I'd rather pluck out my eyeballs than watch Mrs Brown's Boys, but I thought this was gripping. However according to my wife I have an unhealthy interest in "miserable Irish history".

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: BBC 1 WDYTYA: Series 11, Episode 4, Brendan O'Carroll
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
Just one thing Wiki knew who killed him some time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Lee_Hardy
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:18 BST (UK) »
Nope -- bored after 10 minutes - so havent watched it through.  I am getting more difficult to please these days.

Dont watch Mrs Browns boys either.... So didnt relate to Brendan O'Carroll. 

sorry, will try and watch it ... soon maybe

xin

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
That wasn't a family history programme. He knew what had happened to his grandfather, the whole programme focused on trying to ascertain why he was shot and by whom.

The single person focus was reminiscent of the Patrick Stewart programme in  the previous series.

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
I'm the same, I think 'MRs Brown' is terrible and I must admit I thought 'Ireland, here we go again', but this was fascinating.
I particularly liked that he refused to jump to conclusions and questioned each piece of information as it was presented.
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
That wasn't a family history programme. He knew what had happened to his grandfather, the whole programme focused on trying to ascertain why he was shot and by whom.

The single person focus was reminiscent of the Patrick Stewart programme in  the previous series.

Why is that not family history? Just because it didn't have a genealogical focus? I find a detailed history of an individual can be more interesting than one damn ancestor after another ;-)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
I have to say that I wasn't exactly keen on rooting for Julie Walters and her brand of Irish rebels and I certainly wasn't going to for the IRA

For a horrible moment at the end, I thought he was actually at Hardy's grave and going to spit on it or something!
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
I very quickly became bored with this episode I'm afraid....but you can't please everyone.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
I have to say that I wasn't exactly keen on rooting for Julie Walters and her brand of Irish rebels and I certainly wasn't going to for the IRA

For a horrible moment at the end, I thought he was actually at Hardy's grave and going to spit on it or something!

Been my grandfather I would have done more than spit on it, a hammer comes to mind.

Fascinating programme but it was hardly WDYTYA as he already knew the gist of it. I prefer the ones that delve further back.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth