Author Topic: Leaving Campbeltown for County Antrim in 1895  (Read 4810 times)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leaving Campbeltown for County Antrim in 1895
« on: Saturday 30 August 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
Charles Connor/O'Connor married Alice McCafferty in Waterfoot  R. C. Church, Co. Antrim on 25 November 1875.  They lived in the townland of Dromore near Cushendun, Co. Antrim until about 1883 during which time they had three daughters - Elizabeth, Margaret and Mary.

About 1884 they moved to Campbeltown and lived at 31 Saddell Street.  Around 1885 a fourth daughter (Alice) was born.  The 1891 census shows the family still in Saddell Street as O'Connar.
On 25 December 1894 Charles died and was buried in the old Kilkeeran Cemetery in Second Division, Lair 596 (unmarked).

Probably in 1895 the family moved back to Co. Antrim and are found in Larne in 1896.
My question is whether there is likely to be any record of them leaving Campbeltown?   Might they have been assisted either under Poor Law rules or by their church (R.C.)?  I note that Campbeltown library has local newspapers for the period.  Could they be a source for such assistance?
Grateful for any advice which would point me towards an answer.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving Campbeltown for County Antrim in 1895
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 August 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
I doubt there are records available but there were ferries/trade backwards and forwards from Southend [8/9 miles south of Campbeltown] to Ballycastle going back into antiquity.  It isn't a huge distance by sea just 12 miles away and visible in clear conditions.

http://www.oldroadsofscotland.com/stataccargyll.htm#southend
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 August 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Fifer 1947. 

As you say the distance is not great and perhaps a needy family would have managed the trip without financial assistance.  I had hoped that Cambeltown might have had an equivalent to the Poor Law Archives on the Glasgow Family History site:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/019rc/

I am in Larne and can see across on a clear day but I must admit that I had a vision (probably wrong) of them travelling from Glasgow and therefore incurring significant cost.

Thanks.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
Again just a thought but if RC would the parish/diocese not have to pay to help a returning member of their flock?

Over here that's what happened the parish of origin had to take responsibility for their own.

PS One set of my gt gt grandparents married in Larne in 1853, Wm McGaw Kerr and Jane Hollinger  ;D

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
If it became the responsibility of the "Parish" to maintain the family they would certainly have tried to get their money back or pass the buck to the family's parish of origin.

That said there may not have been that great an expense - the books which talk of the Irish Ferries  leaving and arriving in Glasgow refer to them as "the tanner taxis" due to the fares (6d = 2.5p)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
If it became the responsibility of the Parish to maintain the family they would certainly have tried to get their money back or pass the buck to the family's parish of origin.

That said Falkyrn there would surely be something relating to correspondence between the parishes at the Campbeltown end?

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Just reread your first post and in the circumstances I think it highly likely that the family returned with the body for burial. 

That narrows your time frame considerably.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
That said Falkyrn there would surely be something relating to correspondence between the parishes at the Campbeltown end?

Yes, if nothing else they were very determined to keep accurate records where money was concerned (especially if they had to pay any out  ;) ) Religion would have had nothing to do with their approach to the "Parish". By that time period the Poor Law was a Civil Responsibility although  it may have been possible that they could have been supported privately by their church but if that were the case it is extremely unlikely that there would have been any records.

Other than the death what makes you consider that the family were "in need" of assistance.

I would also agree with fifer1947's last post regarding a possible timeframe for the move, especially as the burial took place in Ireland.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your comments. 

Just one point for the moment, the burial took place in Kilkeeran Cemetery, Campbeltown.  Sorry if I did not make that clear.  This left Alice plus 4 young children without any obvious source of income.  Hence my thoughts around help to move the family back to Ireland.