Author Topic: Foods Granny Made and other treats.  (Read 9948 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Foods Granny Made and other treats.
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 03:31 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness what memories our grandmothers gave us with food.  Food made with love and shared for all to enjoy.

My grandmother could not cook until she moved from England to New Zealand and met her mother in-law in 1919. 
From there she learnt how to make a roast, make jams, Christmas mince tarts, Christmas puddings, bottled goods which included salmon (the best salmon in the world), beans, beetroot etc.  Bread and butter puddings the list goes on.  And to make the food even better tasting, all vegetables were fresh straight from my grandfathers garden.
Yet on certain days there was a no fuss eating, when a piece of bread, jam or cheese would be offered with a cup of tea

I think good old fashioned food is the best.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
From my own childhood I remember best the amount of bread and butter we ate "to fill up the cracks".  Food was scarce then, but bread from our local baker's was delicious.  It was my job to cut the bread into thin slices to make it go further.  We had to scrape on a little jam, and I remember a friend who would scrape off some of it as well, to put it back into the jar for next time.  As Northerners we always had high tea, something light and savoury followed by bread and jam.  For a suppertime treat we sometimes had bread and dripping.  I later went to boarding school, where we ate a huge amount of bread, too. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Great memories are being evoked.

Gran used to make very good pastry and could whip it up at the drop of a hat.

She also made Pineapple flummery - and Tapioca custard(fisheyes).  I loved both.  Her Christmas puddings and cakes were memorable.

When I arrived home from England later in her life she'd made me a lovely fruit cake.She knew I liked cakes heavy and moist but this one was really something - Gran was laughing away and finally admitted she's missed the basin (in her poor sightedness) and found the baking powder sprinkled on the floor after the cake was in the oven.    It still tasted really good.

Always far too much food taken on picnics - egg and bacon pie , cake or biscuits and raspberry cordial was good picnic fare.    Delicious.

I remember her packing food parcels to send to England for several years after the was - (well it must have been several years after or I would have remembered!   :)

Great thread Carol.  ;)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 October 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
Bread and dripping .... oh how I long for some -- :) with the brown jelly ooooooh
I ate almost everything as a child and nowadays frightened to touch it if the sell by date has gone.   STUPID..

xin

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 02 October 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
I love bread and dripping, don't often eat it nowadays mainly because there's hardly any dripping from the meat.

I don't care about sell by or use by dates.  If the food looks and smells OK, then we'll eat it.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 02 October 14 21:59 BST (UK) »
A bit off topic, but about wonderful things to eat....

I was listening in the car to a podcast about really bad morning sickness which some poor souls have throughout pregnancy, and one sufferer was commenting that after she gave birth, her nausea eased immediately and the midwife offered her a slice of toast.  And that slice of toast, she said, was like absolute heavenly nectar.  I could just imagine it.

I've had two experiences like that, once when I had just the best cup of tea ever, during a session of table tennis, which I did in the sixth form as my sport afternoon.  Really hit the spot.

And secondly when I was doing a long distance walk, overnight, of more than 45 miles, and with boots full of feet we were on the very last early morning stretch, and one of our support team said - oh, I've got a spare Mars bar, does anyone want it?  And I had the best Mars bar IN THE ENTIRE WORLD EVER.   :D :D :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 02 October 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
My mum could not face a cup of tea through both her pregnancies, but greatly enjoyed a brew directly after giving birth.

Both my elder brother and myself grew up hating tea.

I've since discovered that it was the sugar that I didn't like, and that tea without sugar is a fine drink, but sugar was standard fare when I was young.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 02 October 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
My mum had a craving for tomatoes when pregnant with me....she was in the queue at the local greengrocers one day...and on impulse she picked a tomato off the display and took a bite...the shop keeper slapped her playfully on the back of her neck. I was born with a red birth mark on the back of my neck and I hate tomatoes  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 09 October 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
Wow... Pregnancy cravings.... This could be a whole new topic.

With my daughter it was yogurt, I couldnt enough of pineapple/coconut drinkable yogurt... My daughter hates yogurt.

And while pregnant with my son..... Anchovies! He doesnt like those very much either.

Oh well! ;)
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)